TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Yea or Nea on aftermarket EFI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 7:44pm
Okay well so far the majority is "yea". BTW I have considerable experience with Ford TBI on my '82 Mark VI, and I'm reasonably knowledgable when it comes to electronics so that part of it doesn't scare me. My big thing was hearing people say that the EFI systems have indeed come a long way and that it isn't something to be scared of any more. 

At the end of the day it would be a fun project, I think, but most of all it would be so much fun to tell the guys I knew in high school "Remember the Ambassador? Now it's a fuelie."
1961 Ambassador Custom, 1967 Ambassador 990, 1960 Rambler Six Super, '65 American 440
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 8:16pm
Some of the throttle body injection systems have issues on duel plane intakes,
 so if you're running a dual plane, you might want to nibble down the center divider wall under the carb base a bit so the TB 'sees' more of both banks of cylinders.
 An open spacer plate can do the same thing but you could have air cleaner height issues with a spacer.

Some TB's deal with the dual plane better than others so you might be OK depending on which one you go with.

edit dual not duel lol
(thanks Tom Smile)

Edited by jpnjim - Mar/21/2019 at 1:54pm
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 11:36pm
I own old cars because I like driving, maintaining, and overall experiencing old cars. They are my time machines. New technology in them totally ruins my purpose for owning them.

I will not touch EFI. If I wanted a modern car, I would buy a modern car. Otherwise modern technology can stay far, far away from my old cars. I'm 24 years old and have the time, health, and dedication to maintain my old cars as just what they are: time machines. And they run darn good too.

"I want the old car look but new car technology". -That statement sends such a shiver of disgust up my spine.

Big nea.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 4:32am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I own old cars because I like driving, maintaining, and overall experiencing old cars. They are my time machines. New technology in them totally ruins my purpose for owning them.

I will not touch EFI. If I wanted a modern car, I would buy a modern car. Otherwise modern technology can stay far, far away from my old cars. I'm 24 years old and have the time, health, and dedication to maintain my old cars as just what they are: time machines. And they run darn good too.

"I want the old car look but new car technology". -That statement sends such a shiver of disgust up my spine.

Big nea.

I'm kind of with you on this topic.  But its just an opinion.  I have an old Jeep because I wanted an old Jeep.  Still has drum brakes all around.  Full-disclosure: I did upgrade to power steering, but that was an option in 1973 so I give myself a pass.  

I guess it depends on why one bothers to own an old car built by a defunct corporation.  Maybe its to buck the trend.  Do your own thing.  EFI vehicle drive nice, run cleaner, require less tinkering.  They dont make old guys smile, dont give an excuse to lift the hood with screwdriver in a rainy parking lot, dont confound teenagers with their lack of wires.  
Bills Auto Works View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bills Auto Works Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 5:39am
I have been considering the FAST individual port injection, mostly because I love the look of the stacks & have read some really good reviews. Yes I know it is pricey, but this would be going on an "off-topic" Jag I am building with a hot small block Chevy & will mostly be a show car & extremely nice day driver. Most of my other old stuff, I tend to stick with the carbs. ALso I have read MANY good things about the FI Tech injection!

God bless
Bill
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 5:41am
Old tech is fun to play with and new tech is a bit intimidating. I've got a Holley Super Sniper for my supercharged 401 and it's been an education. Yeah, EFI is pricey but it's something I've wanted to try so I'm doing it.

-Steve-
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 7:19am
In my line of work (musical instruments) we get into the debate as to keep something original or changing something to make it more modern all the time. I have no problem whatsoever putting EFI on a car like this because someday, if someone wants to put the car back the way it was, they can. It's not like chopping and lowering the body or something. I have a Pertronix ignition module in the '60 Rambler and I love it...no EFI for that thing, but not having to worry about points is a huge plus in my book. 
1961 Ambassador Custom, 1967 Ambassador 990, 1960 Rambler Six Super, '65 American 440
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 7:43am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Big nea.

Once you put the air cleaner assembly back on, nobody would ever know it was running injection unless you told them or they are very observant to wonder where the few additional wires are going.

No injection here officer:

Just maybe a few other shiny parts that don't belong there.

If you want to break it down to basics, it's just a funny 4 barrel carby with electric choke that actually works.

I have other old cars with real carbys and they work just fine like that too.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 8:14am
I say yes to EFi if your goal is to get a more modern feeling/running car. I use the Holley Sniper and love it.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 10:44am
I've got a Holley 950HP on the 401 in my Javelin and it runs and drives nice with great throttle response ... once it warms up ... but the car is just a summer toy, so very tolerable.  The cam is too lumpy for most EFI systems and I like the simplicity of a mechanical fuel pump and tinkering with the carb.   But I do run electronic ignition and an aftermarket OD manual transmission.  

If Edelbrock ever gets their new multiport EFI intake released, and if it will run ok with a lumpy cam, it might get my interest ... but expect to be expensive, so not sure?   Don't have much desire for a throttle-body EFI system over a carb. 

My 2 cents, RD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic