TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

XRV8 Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 54>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 8:12am

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jun/19/2017 at 10:39pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 8:26am
Mainstream auto medias tend to depreciate AMC products in general, but this project was partly done to increase appreciation for what can be done with Rambler V8.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jul/07/2018 at 7:38pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 6:31am
I've seen--somewhere--a link about using a Ford AOD behind a RV8.

So then...I guess the AOD bellhousing gets milled off to use the adapter?

Does the adapter work with the BW auto bell? What do you use for a torque converter?

Anyone have experience with this mod?
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 6:59am
Good questions! I remember seeing that link somewhere too. I can tell you that the bell was cut off the AOD and an adapter plate made to fit the AOD pump bolts (longer bolts required) and the BW bell. Don't recall exactly what they did for the converter, but I believe the AOD converter was used with a BW flexplate drilled for it. Spacing could be an issue -- converter has to be far enough in the pump, but not too far. 
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 2:00pm
I think those would be some great answers to pursue.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 7:47am
Later edit: Sad but true, notice how 'some AMC people' will seem to imply Rambler V8 powered hot rod is not a good choice because there is no easy modern overdrive transmission swap. Compare to Chevy people who don't make any excuses for using a Powerglide, TH350 or TH400. Therefore notice my terse snappy reply:

This car's built and ready to race.

Yum; Ford meat tastes like chicken!

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jul/24/2020 at 9:30am
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 9:27am
Woohoo! Can't wait to hear about your strip runs.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

This car's built and ready to race.

Yum; Ford meat tastes like chicken!

What track will you be racing at?

(although I think the show is a bunch of shenanigans...next time a Texas bunch rolls up to OKC for Street Outlaws it would be a hoot to see XRV8...or any AMC...in there!)

LOL
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 5:16pm
There are two people who have hand made a conversion kit to put a 700R4 automatic behind the early General 1 AMC V-8. But it's not some thing you do with the aid of a machine shop. LRDaum
LRDaum
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 6:49pm
I have heard of the mythical adapter to mate a 700R4 to a Rambler V8, but like Sasquatch, its existence is difficult to document. Like Nessie,there in anecdotal evidence that it exists, but I've yet to find someone who's actually seen the beast himself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 54>
  Share Topic