TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wiring mess

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidney1921 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring mess
    Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 4:00pm
I have a 1983 CJ7 that has been used and abused by previous owners. The wiring under the hood is a mess with vacant plugs and wires that seem to go nowhere. The distributor has been upgraded to an HEI unit by a previous owner. I recently replaced the 650 Holley 4 barrel carb with a Weber 32/36 with manual choke and this helped performance significantly. The stock ignition box is still connected but one of the bundles of wires is connected to the under the dash computer harness. I removed the computer today and everything works. I want to clean up the rats' nest in the engine compartment. What wires can I remove? I recently installed a rebuilt 1979 258 engine. There are no emission controls connected but all of the wiring is still under the hood. These wires were not connected to the engine I replaced. I am assuming that I can remove the bundle of wires passing through the firewall from the computer but I'm not sure. Any advice is welcome.
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 2:11am
I'm not aware of any quick list of wires that can be deleted from the harness once the ECM has been bypassed and an HEI swap has been done, but if you get a wiring diagram for your year model, they can be traced out with a little study.

Some things you may want to consider, though: if you're looking to completely remove the unnecessary wires, you're going to have to pull the harness apart. There's several points where wires related to the ignition system and such are spliced together, which you would need to cut out, remove the unwanted wires, then re-splice. Keep in mind that this is 35-year-old engine bay wiring, too. The insulation is likely hard and brittle in a lot of places, which can make it really difficult to work with. If the insulation has been cracking and allowing moisture and whatnot to wick its way into the stranded wire, you may also be looking at corroded copper strand.

A simpler approach might be to make up a fresh harness. This can be done with a kit (I'd probably get one for a '79, to save the effort of having to separate out extra wiring that would come in the '83), or you can do it yourself.

The kits tend to be kind of pricey, but if you factor in the time it takes to come up with a full list of the wire colors, gauges, and lengths needed, not to mention the cost of connectors and terminals, the two options end up being more or less a wash.

If you decide to work with your existing harness, then you could get the '79 wiring diagram and do some comparison to the '83 diagram to get a better idea of what wires can be deleted that relate to the ECM. This might be a little challenging, since the diagram styles between those two periods is very different.

When I was faced with a similar situation, I had to learn the options the hard way by trial and error taking me through all of them. If I were to recommend any, I'd say to go with the kit.

Edited by knobbler - Aug/27/2018 at 2:15am
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 3:30am
The absolute worst thing that can happen to car wiring is people. Not rodents, not corrosion, not fire. People. You get people who don't understand wiring and don't want to understand wiring, but suddenly something simple will happen like their headlights will stop working and in an attempt to fix it they rip out all kinds of original wires, unbundle things, crosswire things, and finally run a hot wire from the battery to the light switch. Awful things people do. 

And you end up with this.

Most of your wiring mess is probably the remains of the original computerized engine control system. If you have a conventional carburetor and distributor now, all those wires are unused and can go away. All the engine really needs now is the wiring for the ignition, alternator, temperature and oil pressure sensors, and any underhood options and accessories you have. 

Get a wiring diagram. Sort through it wire by wire. Figure out what stuff does and whether you need it. This isn't the sort of thing we can really describe or do for you here. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Sidney1921 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidney1921 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 8:35pm
Thanks. I definitely DO NOT want to be the next guy to mess with the wiring. Before I do any thing more I'll check out the wiring diagrams in my Factory Shop Manual.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2018 at 6:22am
That's the best thing, though starting by removing that bundle from the old computer should be safe. Alternately pull it all and get a hot-rod wiring kit and rewire the whole thing. Not as hard as it sounds IF you're patient.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic