TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wiper switch question:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 8:01pm
I hooked the black mystery wire to the back of that light's bracket.  The light works perfectly now.  When you remove the black wire from the bracket, the light goes out, and won't come back on.  Unfortunately, that means that the wiper switch is properly grounded, and the trouble is likely the intermittent box.  Luckily, I think this is the same intermittent box out of an 80's model Ford.  So hopefully it'll be easy to find.

Updates pending.

TH_Gremlin
TH_Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 11:48am
The gauge needle paint-pen arrived last night, so I decided to give it a shot.  it is incredibly easy to use, and I do like the results.

Here are some before and after photos, starting with what we started with.  The speedometer needle was the worst:

The fuel gauge looks like it was the least exposed to the sunlight.  And you can see where the sunlight didn't hit the temperature gauge needle. 

Aaaaand here's the finished product:

I also glued the gauge lenses back in the cluster housing.  I went out and tested it last night, and all the lights are working now.  I'll get this installed as soon as I get the wipers figured out.  This is a super easy project !

TH_Gremlin
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2014 at 3:21pm
Well done! Kinda wish  I'd done that when we had my dash out.
72 Gremlin X
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2014 at 9:20am
Thanks blumontag ! I have since procured a Ford intermittent wiper governor. I'm visiting family for Thanksgiving, but will hopefully have an update regarding the intermittent wipers :)
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 2:39am
Try disconnecting the speedo cable at the transmission and the clamp. Slide it farther into the interior and connect it before the cluster is inserted.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 8:53am
Thanks for the tip, Peter. Since we're in the speedometer cable already, do you guys think I need to re-lubricate the cable ?? It dripped what appeared to be transmission fluid for a little while, then mysteriously stopped. We should be back home this evening, so hopefully we'll have a happy update regarding the intermittent wipers and the instrument panel installation.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 9:19pm
Well I went out and hooked up the Ford intermittent wiper governor the way that the AMC intermittent wiper governor came out. Aaaand I got a big ol' no-go. Not even the "high" speed of the wipers work now. There's a dash light that is grounded off of the wiper switch body, and it's working, so I know the switch is properly grounded. The fuses aren't blown. Not really sure where to go with this now. The TM is basically useless for this procedure, it just says "replace intermttent box".

Have any of you guys used a Ford intermittet box in an AMC ?? Did you have to move the wires in the plugs at all ??
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 9:24pm
Have you tried just plugging the wiper harness directly into the switch? Completely remove the delay box from the equation and you should at least have two, non-intermittent speeds.

If you do not, that would indicate a problem with the wiper motor itself.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2014 at 10:06pm
Hey Fluffy !  I tried to plug the switch directly in to the wiper-plug, but it will not go.  There's a plastic post looking thing coming out from the middle of the black plug, that will not allow you to plug it directly in to the switch.

I removed all of the tape on the wires on each wiper governor assembly, and took a closer look at the wiring on the Ford intermittent wiper governor, and noticed that 6 wires go to and from the black box (three go to the red plug that goes to the switch, and three go to the black plug that hooks to the pigtail that goes to the wiper motor).  I traced the wires from the box to each plug, and the wires are organized in the plugs the same for the AMC governor as they are for the Ford governor.  The difference is the three wires that go from one plug directly to the other plug (i.e., these wires do not connect to the intermittent governor box).  The Ford wiper governor assembly does not match the AMC governor assembly in this respect.  I have switched the wires in the Ford governor assembly's plugs to make it match the AMC's plugs, but won't have time to test it until tomorrow.

Just for curiosity's sake, I decided to remove the guts from each black box, and compare the two.  There are differences, particularly regarding the parts on the circuit boards, but they are basically identical.  The wiring to the respective parts of the board are identical.

Updates pending.  Hopefully I haven't burned anything up back there.  :/
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2014 at 10:23pm
Hmmm, I never would have thought the intermittent and standard wiper switches had different plugs.

I do have a regular 2-speed switch in my collection of junk.  Just say the word and it's yours and then you can at least have basic wipers until you figure out what's up with the intermittent ones.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic