TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wilwood Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

Whats the Diffrence between the 2 Spindles?
The bearings that come with the Wilwood Kit seemed to fit. 
If I remember correctly the issues were bearing size and the pad thickness for the spindle. If the pad is too thick it places the caliper stand too far inboard. AMC used two size bearings. The smaller size in the early cars and larger size in later cars. I don't remember the cut off in years. There also was two or three pad sizes. I have to apologize that I don't remember the details. I used a set of spindles that were originally from a drum set up instead of the KH spindles. They were a dead bolt up. The think the pads were too think on the Bendix spindles I had. You could also shave the pads down to the proper thickness if you had the right equipment. I will have to go back and dig through my old posts to see if I can find more accurate information. This was all discussed once before.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2014 at 1:15am
The Bearings seems to fit, and as I searched the Web yesterday I found this Post in the
Amcyclopedia http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/18461 So it seems that I just have to mount everything, meassure the Offset, dismount the Spindles and have them grinded at a Maschine Shop.

Edited by SirDigger - May/07/2014 at 6:24am
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2014 at 6:22am
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

The Bearings seems to fit, and as I searched the Web yesterday I found this Post in the
Amcyclopedia http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/18461 So it seems that I just have to mount everything, meassure the Offdet dismount the Spindles and have the grinded at a Maschine Shop.

I was not able to find the thread I was looking for here on this forum but that posting on the amcycopedia sums it up nicely. One nice thing about the Wilwood calipers is they have a silver center line that you can use to eyeball the alignment to the rotor. The thread I was looking for listed the pad measurements which might have saved you some time. Wilwood includes some thin shims (washers) in their kit so if your machine shop misses by a little bit you can still recover.

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 6:47am
So i started Mounting the Willwood kit...

2 Issues with the BendixSpindles, we hat to massage the Dustshield a Bit to make room for the Rotor, and the SpindleNut and Ring has to be used from the existing Setup.
The Offset seems to be correctable with Just one Shim under the Caliper.

But WTF are these Torx Srews? Grade Zero? Its not StainlessSteel, its to magnetic for that.

I Set up my Torquewrench correctly to 25lbs-ft, and killed 2 of the Tiny TorxSrews that attach the Rotor to the Adapter Disc.

It seems that the Hole for the Torx Bit is Way to Deep, there is just a small Ring of Material between the Head and the tread  left.
I have to take some Pictures later.   

And now I have to figure out wher to get simular Screws in Germany, its no bigger Problem to get Inbus or Hex heads, but an UNF or UNC with a Torx head Bold...  Its like playing the Lottery..
I have a Hexhead with the correct size in Stock, but i´m not comfortable with it, du to Weight differences.
And ordering replacment ones from the States... 1-2 Weeks.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 2:36pm

As you can see, there was not much Material between the head and the Screw´s Tread/Bolt...  I´m not really comfortable with with that.

Anyone knew the Grade of this Screws? Grade 8? 
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 2:46pm
Wow! They must be getting their bolts from Inda now. I have installed at least six of those kits and that is the first time I have ever seen that happen. Not sure of the grade on the bolts so I can't help you there but you be able to source the localy. I would ship the bolts back to Wilwood and ask for some kind of compensation.

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 2:51pm
Ken, I´m in Germany...
Shiping the Stufff back, and reciving new ones...
will take Ages... and cost me about 20$ Mailcosts

I figured out I can get macting Screws from onlineShops in germany that focused on US/ENglisch Screws.

I´m not comfortable with these Bolts Wilwood deliverd,
so I will change all 12 of em. Probably will take Grade 8 ones. 

Funny Thing is they sponsor this Corner of the Board... LOL
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 3:00pm
At the very least I would send Wilwood pictures so they are aware that they have some kind of quality control issue. If you can localy source some replacments be very careful of the lenght as I did notice that some of the clearances are very close.

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 3:30pm
Just done that @ Ken  and the lengh of the Scews is descibed with 3/4" in the Manual, so I should have no Problems to get the correct ones.
Just did a bit reseach of the Maximum Torque for the 5/16-18 Scresw, and this shows they must be Grade 8 ones.

Copy of my Mail to Support@Wilwood.com

Hello from Germany,  my Name is Holger Froede.

I bought an Wilwood Kit BreakKit for my Amc Javelin from FreakRide.
While Installing the Rotors to the Adapterplate i teared 2 Heads of the supplyed Bolts apart.
As in the Manual suggested I used an Scewlocking fluid, and my TorqueWrench was setup to the suggested Torque of 25lbs/ft. (I run a ConstructionBusiness with own RepairShop, our Torque Wrences are tested for accuracy every 3 Months)

I attached 5 Pictures of the Torxhead, there you can see the Area of the fracture, in my Opinion, the depth of the Hole for the ToryBit is way to deep.
There is just a small Ring of Material beween the Head and the Bolt left.

My question is the Grade of the Bolts,
due to the suggested Torque,
it seems they should be Grade 8,
I ask cause I need to get other Bolts quick, (i can get them here at OnlineScrewdealers or HarleyDavidsongarages.
And I´m not comfortable with the Bolts Wilwood supplyed,
because every Bolt in the Box (Partnumber 230-12121 stamped Assambler 32 WWE) has the same depth at the head.   

Regards from Germany

Holger Froede
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 1:10pm
Any one has an Idea
what to think about this Reply from WilwoodsMailServer?

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

support@wilwood.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain wilwood.com by mail.wilwood.com. [68.237.174.66].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 User unknown
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic