TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wilwood Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wilwood Kit
    Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 5:19pm
I have a 74 Javelin with manual rear drum/front disc brakes. I want to convert both the front and rear
brakes to the Wilwood setup. They say the front will work if I have the Kelsey Hayes front disc setup and not the Bendix one.

Can anyone tell me or provide pics on how to tell the difference between the Bendix setup and the KH one?

Thanks!
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 6:33pm
I think I found my answer, it looks like the Kelsey brakes have a big A on the calipers? Can someone confirm that for me please?

My car has the A so hopefully I am good to go.

Thanks!
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 6:47pm
The Kelsey hays calipers that I have and that I have seen have a KH cast into the caliper. The Bendix usually will have "Bendix" cast in.

Dennis  

Edited by THE MENACE - May/27/2015 at 11:28am
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 6:48pm
The KH brakes use 2 bolts inserted from the back to position the caliper.  Bendix brakes have just one bolt that holds a slider at the bottom of the caliper.  If you can post a pic, they are easy to spot.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 6:32am
Here is a pic of the passenger side. Pardon the rust, she's been sitting over 2 years.

Thanks
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 7:35am
Just keep in mind if your car does not have exactly what you need, it is not difficult to install the correct parts from an appropriate parts car. So in reality there is nothing to stop the conversion you are looking to do. The Disc Brake spindles are all the same, it is a matter of bolting on the correct bits and pieces.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 8:56am
KH pictures.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 9:05am
YES!  Those are what I have. It's about time something went the right way on this project. My buddy says it is my old purple javelin that got sent to the crusher getting her revenge LOL.

Thanks guys looks like the Wilwood conversion is a go (as soon as I have enough money) Wink
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 9:07am
One other thing I forgot to ask .... this car is my first Javelin with manual brakes, and honestly I don't like them. Will going to wilwood discs all the way around require a change in my master cylinder or proprtioning valves etc or should they work fine with my stock manual setup?
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 10:28am
Originally posted by fmahannah fmahannah wrote:

One other thing I forgot to ask .... this car is my first Javelin with manual brakes, and honestly I don't like them. Will going to wilwood discs all the way around require a change in my master cylinder or proprtioning valves etc or should they work fine with my stock manual setup?
I can only speak from experience on one 74 Javelin project. The distribution/proportioning valve works just fine with the four disc change over. Just remember you have to disable the proportioning valve when bleeding the system. As for the master cylinder I can't give you much guidance there as we changed to a power setup from another Javelin and added the Wilwood master. I would say that the difference in the volume of fluid between rear drums and rear discs you would be better off going with a new master cylinder.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic