TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Willys Tornado Flow Data

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 10:00pm
That engine is it seems what Willys used for the development of the Tornado. It's in the SAE report, some pictures, and some dyno graphs showing the power progression of the engines. 
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 11:54pm
That cast dual outlet header is nice. I think you need them Ken. 
I’ve looked at those argentine cars with envy. There really was an evolution of the engine. Can’t wait for the cam discovery. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 11:52am
One nit to pick -- Chrysler DID NOT want "AMC" -- they wanted JEEP. Renault wouldn't sell Jeep without AMC car division though, so it was an all or nothing deal. Just turned out to be Chrysler's lucky day, as AMC had a lot more value than anyone would have thought at the time.

You're spot on about the size of the company being the only real issue. The market was very competitive, and the big companies (not just big three US, but world player like Toyota, Honda, etc.) could afford to put a lot more into R&D, and even afford to cover mistakes. AMC wasn't a big enough company to compete head to head with everyone else! They had a good value niche in the 60s when Romney was in charge, Abernethy killed that (though he couldn't have known how it would work out at the time -- hindsight for us), and effectively put the company in the downward spiral that led to the 1980 "partnership" with Renault, and eventually the 88 Chrysler buy-out. A couple high cost projects that didn't pan out well (Pacer and Matador Coupe) cost them dearly, and they just couldn't really recover in the world car markett as it was then... or is now. The oil crunch hurt those two cars so bad, nothing internal.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 11:57am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

One nit to pick -- Chrysler DID NOT want "AMC" -- they wanted JEEP. Renault wouldn't sell Jeep without AMC car division though, so it was an all or nothing deal. Just turned out to be Chrysler's lucky day, as AMC had a lot more value than anyone would have thought at the time.

You're spot on about the size of the company being the only real issue. The market was very competitive, and the big companies (not just big three US, but world player like Toyota, Honda, etc.) could afford to put a lot more into R&D, and even afford to cover mistakes. AMC wasn't a big enough company to compete head to head with everyone else! They had a good value niche in the 60s when Romney was in charge, Abernethy killed that (though he couldn't have known how it would work out at the time -- hindsight for us), and effectively put the company in the downward spiral that led to the 1980 "partnership" with Renault, and eventually the 88 Chrysler buy-out. A couple high cost projects that didn't pan out well (Pacer and Matador Coupe) cost them dearly, and they just couldn't really recover in the world car markett as it was then... or is now. The oil crunch hurt those two cars so bad, nothing internal.
Pretty much it here. And like anything else Carmaking is pure business.  Sentimentality has nothing to do of how good or bad a car is. Sales is what makes money, and in the end that is all what matters.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 9:26pm
exactly. good engineering and good business are disjoint sets.

also, the entire industry was entering Malaise Era. in short, they all made crap for a while for a complex set of reasons. also AMC had labor issues, quality issues, etc. and Abernathy's decision to compete with Ford, GM, was probably stupid even at the time. (if they had stayed a niche maker, fulfilling telco fleets of something like 220 Americans, but had a tiny halo line (AMX) with which to develop/parade nifty tech (which AMC was GREAT at), say a real 4cyl from the 258, v6, whatever) they coulda had cashflow and halo. like every NYC cab driver i have all the answers.)

but publically-traded corporations are *not* "businesses" in the sense that most people think they are, like a corner store, or a repair shop. it's less about profit and all about growth. which is not profit, it's something else. AMC was stuck and couldn't grow. acquisition or death is what happens to corps that cant "grow".

i'm way off-thread here, i'll stop.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 8:32am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

exactly. good engineering and good business are disjoint sets.

also, the entire industry was entering Malaise Era........

i'm way off-thread here, i'll stop.

Interesting take Tom thanks for posting it Clap
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 8:52am
Some day I need to get this one running and back under the hood, its so great looking and interesting engine. From 1964 J-100 Wagoneer

68 American
68 Rebel
70 Javelin
71 Ambassador
73 Gremlin
A bunch of Jeeps
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

AMC's contribution to Chrysler is why it bothers me when people say, "If AMC made such good cars, then why did they go out of business? Obviously they didn't make good cars or they'd still be around."

My answer to that one is that AMC did not fail, they were bought out, and were showing a profit at the time they were bought out.

I believe the last engines Continental supplied for automobile use was for Checker Motors. Checker sold so few cars that Continental was losing money on the deal, and discontinued the old six. For a very short time Checker used Chrysler engines, and there's a story I read that they used a few AMC engines, before going with Chevrolet engines starting in the mid-1960s.

Edited by Ken Doyle - Mar/24/2019 at 10:33am
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 10:58am
Originally posted by ambassador401 ambassador401 wrote:

Some day I need to get this one running and back under the hood, its so great looking and interesting engine. From 1964 J-100 Wagoneer

Fantastic shop!!!! AMC's and Tornados - looks like my place!

Want to contribute to my serious data study spreadsheet on Tornado upgrades? I've tracked a rather shocking amount of upgrades to hold the plate better and to improve oil drainage and reduce consumption. There is a few things you can see from the outside (extra support boss, solid dowels) and some more stuff under the valve cover, but that's a bit much.
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 11:10am
bring on the chambers, valvetrain and learning from the cam profile. Bring on a decent ignition upgrade. Let’s see the intake. And the oiling. Head gasket upgrade? I wanna see all the parts! 
Been thinking about this engine for years! Not staying up nights or anything. But if you keep posting I will. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic