TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Willys Tornado Flow Data

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Willys Tornado Flow Data
    Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 6:02pm

This is sorta AMC

Willys had the first mass production OHC engine in North America in the Jeep Pickups and Wagons starting in 62. It was a Hemi OHC 6 cylinder engine called the Tornado, small bore, long stroke. The thing was a flop in North America; they rushed it into production with a motorplate engine mount system that was not properly thought out, the thing shook loose and created oil leaks of biblical levels, and the engine blew up when all the oil leaked out. They made a bunch of improvements, but too late and it had a bad reputation, so they changed to the AMC 6 here and shipped the now fixed Tornado to the Argentina Kaiser operation where it was successful and lived to 82.

I have a 62 pickup I'm working on, and the engine is just so cool it's fantastic. And the stock valve cover is the best looking one on any engine ever made.

Went to the effort to make a proper Tornado bore fixture for the flow bench - it only proves I'm a little crazy. Who else in the world has a proper bore with a Tornado bolt pattern on their flowbench? Maybe someone in Argentina I suppose.

Anyhow here are the results. This is cylinder #2 flowed, with a putty radius at the intake flange, and no valves in cylinders 1 and 3. The problem here is 1/2 the intake is in the head, and I wanted a head flow only, so with those valves out the #2 could get fed from both sides minimizing the effect of the integral runner. On the exhaust port it is with a stub.

Lift   Intake   Exhaust

.100     61.8     44.2

.200   123.0     87.5

.300   165.8   115.8

.400   192.7   139.9

.500   201.6   155.4

.600   204.2   161.2   (exhaust lift .580)

The thing flows gangbusters! No wonder they raced them in Argentina, and this is not even the IR head. Simply amazing for a 62 truck engine 6 cylinder.

I'm going to clean the casting flash a bit, and do a good valve job but not really port it. This does not need it, but it's impossible not to tweak on it a bit.

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 6:54pm
Thanks for doing the research and posting it up for us Ken!

And yeah that engine was a couple decades ahead of everyone else,
I always thought it was a case of too much technology too soon,
though the oil leak issue makes a lot of sense.

They used them in the M715's after they dropped it out of the rest of the Jeep line,
but I'm guessing you already know that.

I'm really surprised they flow so good, Clap
thanks again. 
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 8:01pm
very very interesting...cool.
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 9:20pm
A friend had a I believe was a 1963 -462 wagon. With the tornado 230, came with a factory 4 brl. and split exaust manifold  dual back to a large for the time single exaust. 3 spd with hi/lo transfer case, and 2-4 wheel drive lever. You could drive in 2wd and low range. Fun. 
Anyway it's a good engine but had a tendency to Crack the head about center between the oil passage and coolant passage. When it cracks it over heats and fills the radiator with oil. The  simple fix was to open the top of the head, weld Crack  then weld access hole close. 
We had a old shop that knew about the problem and repair. When fixed no more problems. Drove it for several years after. 
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 8:31am
Should I ever find one, I would like to drop one in an American. What bellhousing pattern do they have?
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 8:51am
Funny you should say that. That is what they did in Argentina - they made a car called the IKA Torino, which was a facelifted 64 Rambler.

If you look you can see the Rambler base car - fender line, hood line, etc. Go hunting on youtube and you can find lots of pictures of the installation. Wish I understood Spanish.

The bellhousing is completely unique to the engine, and a pain. It is a big cast iron thing that surrounds both front and back of the flywheel/clutch, and a big pain to deal with. But the engine is production in the Rambler chassis. The M715 version go the Tornado has block engine mounts, and the casting has the provision for the mounts used on the Torino. There was a NOS M715 short block just sold on eBay.

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 10:56am
I have one of those valve covers I pulled years ago hanging on the wall of my garage.  They are pretty.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 8:47pm
wow, thanks!! that engine has always intrigued me! it's always seemed like an interesting design. yeah that wasnt a good era to introduce a motor int he US that required anything fundamentally different (like aluminum heads, etc).

i'm both sad, and relieved, to hear that the bell pattern is difficult, as it makes unlikely for me to ever try to adapt one, but i'm also releived that i can't try to adapt one as i really don't need another project like that.

so the bell isn't a copy of something else? was that a sui generis motor? or an adaptation of something else?

what's the cylinder spacing? could the head go on another block? ok that's crazy, but thought i'd ask.

got any photos? there's nearly nothing out there except external photos.

Edited by tomj - Mar/17/2019 at 8:49pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 11:57pm
There was a Wagoneer with an intact 230 in a wrecking yard five miles from my house just a couple years ago. I advertised it. Nobody gave a sh%t. It's now so much recycled steel in China.

The 230 is really interesting because it has such a high tech, high performance, high RPM cylinder head....dropped onto what is basically a Continental 226 engine block. The 226 dates back to the 1940's or perhaps even the 1930's as an industrial and tractor engine. Literally, it's a tractor engine. Cletrac used them. It's a long stroke, 4 main bearing design. They put a high flow, hemispherical, crossflow head optimal for high RPM use onto a 1940's tractor engine. How contradictory is that? Worked pretty well though.

I don't think oil leaks had much to do with the engine's failure to be accepted in the United States. There were other similar cutting edge overhead cam engines on the market in the 1960's, the Pontiac six for one, and they all failed to catch on domestically. Foreign markets loved them, but Americans didn't. OHC engines didn't really catch on in the U.S. until the 1980's. Americans just seem to like their pushrod engines. Perhaps it's because inline sixes are seen as performance engines worth having advanced OHC technology in foreign markets while they have usually been seen as economy or work engines in the U.S. Americans spend their money on V8s if they want performance or advanced technology. What a shame, too.

The 230 is really cool, but in total honesty I think the AMC 232 is superior from just about any angle. The 230's head is cool and has a lot of potential, but I look at the whole picture. The 232 is simply an excellent engine overall for what inline sixes were meant to do in the U.S.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 4:20am
The 230 is the engine that uses the same lobe on the camshaft to work both the intake & exhaust valves, correct? Or am I thinking of a different engine?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic