TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Why I hate "reman" electrical parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why I hate "reman" electrical parts
    Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 11:07am
...well, just one of several reasons. Here's a glaring example, and what is the customer, a forum member, supposed to do? Where does he push on the orange wire connection? On his car, like with many AMCs, it's an angle boot with a push-on connection, pushes onto a STUD. 
They also used flat connectors that I call, perhaps incorrectly, a "spade" connector because, well, it reminds of of a spade used in digging or gardening. 
In this case, this reman alternator doesn't have a stud to push his orange wire onto, and there's no spade otherwise he could snip his wire and put a female spade on it to connect to a male spade on the alternator like AMC did with some years/models. 

What can he do? Short of modifying the alternator - not a lot. He's going to have to at the very least take a couple of things off - and likely void a warranty?

I HATE reman stuff. No biggy, but ugh, using a TRACTOR rear frame on those meant for a car - I know, that's just plain anal - it's functional even if not cosmetically correct. Still - it shows they simply grab parts, hey this will fit, and toss 'em together, and in this case - didn't even know - hey there HAS to be another connection besides just field and output! See, they don't know and don't care. 

In the pic below, a LONGER stud here was required. They used the shortest possible - in fact, none were ever that short originally. 
And in cases where the wire wasn't pushed onto a stud, there's supposed to be a flat spade UNDER the isolation diode to push a wire onto. 
So for this person - he's screwed unless it takes that nut off and adds some sort of connector and makes sure it's all put back carefully. 

(LOL, of course ideally his original AM alternator would be restored!  ;-)   because he had a PRESTOLITE system originally........)  Wink

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 1:05pm
I agree with Bill.  It's gotten so bad with NAPA remans I refuse to buy a reman starter or alternator from them.  So what if they have a 'limited lifetime'  warranty, I still spent 1-3 hours digging the failed unit from the bowels of some of the modern iron when it pukes.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 1:37pm
Had that with my older sons Jeep. 125k starter failed. Ok, no problem. Toss in a reman. He drives to my house and no crank to restart. Jack it up and jump the starter. Nothing! Out it comes again and back to OReillys.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 6:24pm
I've not had very good luck getting a quality reman Motorola alternator from Rock Auto. packed and labelled as an AC/Delco. I've received 3 so far and one was very nice for a reman with the proper studs and a brand new isolation diode heat sink. The OEM factory tag was not put back but at least it was clean, had good hardware and worked properly. It was nice enough for me to order a second. That one was not so nice, marginal stud length, some old, some mismatched and some just plain wrong hardware. Poorly silver painted heat sink too. The insulating washers were not in great shape and looked as if they were over tightened to the point of splitting. BillD helped me with the proper terminal identification and reassembly sequences. I was able to cobble together a working alternator for now using hardware store insulating washers. Ordered a third to see what I'd get and I got a 40amp alternator in the 55amp box and the alternator was ink stamped with the "incorrect" Delco p/n for a 55 amp. That one went back today. Can't wait until BillD starts rebuilding these again !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 1:54pm
I WANT to get back into this full force again - some things have slowed me a bit, such as - well, look at our bathroom pics below. I finished putting in a room of oak flooring last week. 

And - tentatively planned for next weekend - I pick up another SX4 and sounds like a truck load of Eagle parts. 
Have no idea where I'll put things but I'll figure it out..........

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 6:30pm
I can remember I got a reman starter. Got one start......this was not easy to change either....lifetime...parts guy was surprised  to see me..told him it didnt work...he tried to argue. Told him put it on your test bench...went in the back...got another one.... it lasted 2 weeks...back again...3rd one lasted 3 months...I gave up. Went in the junkyard got a used one...went almost 2 years..until I got rid of the car... so sometimes I get a reman...sometimes I get a used one out of the junkyard. Its hit and miss. But generally not impressed with reman...
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2019 at 8:50pm
I have a saying - "Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good". With that said, I'll add another story that happened this week. Wooster Kevin's car had a new Motorcraft alternator on it and it only lasted 2 months and about 800 miles when it died. Since it was over a year old, no warranty of course. So he buys a reman from Autozone on Thursday and this afternoon we changed in the parking lot at Autozone because it died! Angry So we had to drive to another town to get one since the store we stopped at didn't have it in stock. At least is a real Motorcraft unit with an original regulator so hopefully it will last longer.........
The cool part of this mess was the two young guys manning the store knew what a Javelin is!! Shocked They seen my car and asked what year it was. The one guy has an 82 Jeep with a 360 AMC in it so we talked with him about his problems and told him to come here to get some real help so at least it made the extra trip worth it. Smile

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2019 at 9:49pm
I have some Delco and Motorcraft alternators on the shelves - and parts  - could restore those as well LOL 

My 73 has no emblems on it that ID it as AMC or Javelin - the PO left them all off except the PC fender emblems. I drove it to the NAPA distribution center and store last fall and as I walked in I heard one of the guys at the counter saying to the others "look at that cool Javelin out there!". 
Wow, impressive.
I expect that with my 70 as the license plates say "70JAVLN" 
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I agree with Bill.  It's gotten so bad with NAPA remans I refuse to buy a reman starter or alternator from them.  So what if they have a 'limited lifetime'  warranty, I still spent 1-3 hours digging the failed unit from the bowels of some of the modern iron when it pukes.

All of the chain store remans are just as bad or worse since they all source their remans from A1 Cardone. Cardone just mass disassembles cores, then put the parts into bins. Once the components are tumbled clean, they are put back together with no regard if the individual components are mis-matched or worn out.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2019 at 1:03pm
I toured such places in the 70s and yes. that's what they do......... all 4300s for example, regardless of the car they came from, were taken apart by guys sitting at benches with pneumatic tools and the parts tossed into wire bins. 
To build them later, the clean parts sat in bins next to the benches and parts were pulled out to make a carburetor - an AMC carb, say, for a 1970, didn't use the PCV port on the back so they plugged it with a compound that reminded me of the "Rock Hard Water Putty" used to fill bad spots in flooring underlayment before the vinyl goes down.  
Not sure what they did with the AMC parts that had no hole for PCV if they built a carb for a Lincoln - drill a hole and drive in a nipple?
There was no one at a time to it. All bulk, and you can then imagine the possible combinations that come out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic