TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Why Block The Oil Filter Bypass Valve?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2014 at 1:04pm

ZERO OIL PRESSURE, OIL PRESSURE FLUCTUATION? Answers...

There are only a few culprits to to these problems.

Fluctuations and loss of pressure:

1. Oil pressure fluctuations can be caused by a sticking or worn oil filter bypass. This bypass is located between the oil filter and oil filter adaptor. 1987-1991 engines did not have this bypass. To see if you have this bypass unscrew your filter and see if it has a oval washet behind the filter stud. If you do take the stud off and remove the pittle composite plunger (has three small tangs) and the spirng behind it and clean and re-assemble. 

2. A loss of the lead or sludge on the oil sending unit or a short in the wire that connects it can lead to this issue. The sending unit is located on the passegner side in front behind the filter on the lower part of the engine block. A faulty sending unit will not cause fluctuation but a faulty gauge will. In CJ jeeps/AMC powered boats the gauges had PSI readings and in cars/AMC powered IH buses and travelalls and full size jeeps they used a dummy light for oil pressure

3. Loss of oil can occur if your low on oil or your pump needs surpass the volume of oil draining back to the pan (very common). AMC V8s like to trap oil in the tops of the heads and in the front of the timing cover. To combat this extra capacity oil pans are available but not all are made equal. The better pans allow oil to flow back to the sump area minimizing stops between block bottom and pan bottom.

4. A lack of startup pressure is usually a symptom of a sticky/stuck or missing oil pressure bypass plunger or spring. AMC used 356 cast aluminum for the oil filter adaptor material. This is much softer than the steel pressure bypass spring and can wear in the bore holding up the plunger. You can also note a sudden 65 psi and then 0. This happens when your pressure spikes to the maximum the factory pressure bypass spring will allow (65-70psi) shrinks and allows the plunger to move back and stick in a groove worn by standard service. In normal operation the plunger will move forward and back frequently as the oil temperature, rpm and contaminants reach the oil filter. The pressure bypass is the systems first pressure valve helping against blowing the oil filter off its mount. This bypass is critical and should never be deleted. It is located on the side of the oil filter adaptor facing the oil pan on all 67-91 motors (except Pacer V-8 ) and has a large 7/8 bolt and aluminum or copper washer for retaining the pressure spring and plunger.

5. Oil filter types also come into play. Some will stress the quality issues about certain oil filters we wont get into this we will talk flow. Fram and Fram duraguard filters for the AMC V8 filter at a very small micron and subsequently require more media to allow the same flow as Wix/K&N/Napa gold filters for the AMC V8 67-86 and the metric filter AMC V8 87-91. This means you will see a larger oil pressure with the Wix/K&N/Napa gold filters than you will with the Fram and Fram duraguard. Because AMC V8 engines have a pressure bypass before the filter excess pressure from a lower flowing filter is relieved by sending the oil back to the pump. This is normal operation on all filter especially when the engine is at sub zero temperatures or if the engine has very high viscosity lubrication in the crank case.

6. Bearing clearances and general motor clearances are critical to good oil pressure. AMC V8s use oil paths that are drilled into the block after casting. The oil path runs to the lifters first and then to the main journals while feeding the camshaft along the way. This means if you have a lifter that collapses and kicks and pushrod to the side bending it the lobe could possibly push the lifter out of its bore but most likey will cause massive bleedoff of critical oil flow for the camshaft and main/rod journals. If you suddenly loose oil pressure and hear a mess of noise it may not be a main or rod bearing that has spun (lets hope it isnt) rather it could be a bad lifter. 

Time to do a little test.... Whip up a block off for the by pass and pick up a NAPA GOLD 1258... Just for testing... If the test proves out then grind  and and chase with a die for the FL1A... It is quite possible that the filter bypass took a poop...
JTSLLC1
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2014 at 10:57am
There are 2 styles of oil filters, external by pass and internal by pass. IIRC all GMs and AMC are external , Ford and Mopars internal. Either way the filter is a partial flow.( In Bill Jenkins book The Chevrolet Racing Engines ) he stated that there isn't enough media surface area in a 1QT. filter that can handle the volume of oil with out a by pass valve. He used a remote mount with no bypass and a 2 QT filter.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2014 at 3:35pm
Additionally there are 2 different style of outputs on oil filter bypasses. Some drain to the pan and the ones used in amc output to the bearings. A single oil filter adaptor will put a choke hold on a race motor. You cannot get enough flow through the filter whe your racing. Its why folks who run a big oil pan run out of pressure at the end of a 1/4 MILE run. If you dont run the right stuff you will be putting money into that motor soon.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2014 at 5:09pm
I had a little chit chat with Bob Stiege.....

We went a couple rounds on the By Pass Theory..

His conclusion was there is nothing wrong with the AMC oil system up to 7200 RPM as long as you have 8 quarts of oil to make it down the track to avoid starving the motor....

Anything over 7200 RPM is a whole new world.....

He only modifies his stock pan to hold 8 quarts, extends his pickup and made a modification  to accept the FL1A Motorcraft Filter because he could not find an AMC filter at the auto parts store...

So for my situation I need to take the motor down to see what happened.... After doing a little testing the idea of adding a bypass block off or adding a high pressure spring is not the solution to my problem...

I need to find the problem to Fix the problem.... To prevent future problems the conversion to a FL1A Motorcraft Filter seems to be the only modification I need to make....

I respect everyone's decision to do things their own way this is just the conclusion I came up for me...

On that note I have a used deep sump oil pan with swivel pick up and external oil line for sale for the same price I paid 250.00....Thumbs Up

JTSLLC1
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 11:59am
I know it's an old thread but maybe someone can elaborate on using the FL1A filter.

What do you have to change or mod to use this filter? is the thread on our housings the same?

I have done the bypass mod (Not installed yet) and before installing want to use this filter to have a better bypass in filter vs the AMC filter.

Thanks
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

I know it's an old thread but maybe someone can elaborate on using the FL1A filter.

What do you have to change or mod to use this filter? is the thread on our housings the same?

I have done the bypass mod (Not installed yet) and before installing want to use this filter to have a better bypass in filter vs the AMC filter.

Thanks

Since you have done the bypass mod, obtain this at the local Dodge service and parts department.

Mopar Part 53007563AB OIL FILTER CONNECTOR

Then you can use the Ford FL1A filter.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Thanks

Since you have done the bypass mod, obtain this at the local Dodge service and parts department.

Mopar Part 53007563AB OIL FILTER CONNECTOR

Then you can use the Ford FL1A filter.

There's also a slightly cheaper Omix one on Amazon,
or save $4 and drive to the dealer.Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 12:31pm

Thanks

Just switching to the Ford filter all you have to do is remove the thread insert grind it to the right dia. and chase it with a die which is the same thread as the Ford filter... I think there is a threaded insert available for the conversion... I will be stopping by Bobs today and I can write down the size die he lent me to do mine...

The modification seems to be working fine.... On the dyno off the dyno etc.

I am getting ready to do it all over again for my 366 CI build.....

JTSLLC1
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 12:47pm
Perfect, i bought that part off ebay just now..easier that finding the right die.
Thanks for clarification on modifying the existing..thats what I was unsure of.
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 10:39pm
Reading this got me all confused , i am running a stock late model oil adapter thats a factory block oil bypass , not even cast in it and running a stock amc wix filter , street driven , so far no issues , but am i running the right filter 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic