TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Why Block The Oil Filter Bypass Valve?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 11:58am
Unless you are doing a lousy job of maintenance with infrequent oil and filter changes or something is failing in the engine, the oil in the pan should be relatively clean. Some oil bypassing the filter shouldn't cause issues.

Remember than even if 100% of the oil is going through the filter, the single-pass efficiency isn't 100% so relies on multiple cycles through the filter to keep oil in the pan clean.

In a race engine where things tend to fail, eliminating the filter bypass may help to catch debris and reduce secondary damage ... just be careful on cold starts.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Unless you are doing a lousy job of maintenance with infrequent oil and filter changes or something is failing in the engine, the oil in the pan should be relatively clean. Some oil bypassing the filter shouldn't cause issues.

This. My mill is till going strong at 130,000 miles. All untouched inside.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 12:41pm
Well I know I changed the filter and put Schaefers Synthetic oil in before the dyno pulls...over 10 pulls everything went smooth.... I know on the final pull it took a little while for the jet change... Or should we say BS'n...

So I'am thinking we did not wait for the oil coming up to temp... I was very anal about the motor coming to temp and making sure the oil pressure was good on all the other pulls... On the last pull I was rushing day light at 7:30 p.m. ... one long day of testing from 9:30 a.m. till 7:30 p.m...

No lack of oil on the last pull so it must have been on the way down... Motor runs fine no ticking no banging.... oil pressure goes to 50 PSI when you rev. but falls to 0 at idle.... Oil pump looks mint, gears housing etc. I can prime the motor manually and oil comes out the push rods.... So it is time for a rip down and inspection.... I figure a bad main and I just want to eliminate the problem from happening again.... I was very lucky.... Replacing bearings is no big deal comparatively speaking....Thumbs Up

I still want to get back on the dyno and thrash some more to see what eliminating the flex fan and 1.7 rockers on the intake provide....Maybe one more header combo 1 5/8 stepped to 1 3/4 with scavenger collectors...

Horse power losses

Drive train loss 75 HP
Flex Fan loss?
Water Pump loss?
Alt loss?

I'am figuring a total loss of 100 HP 

I would like to eliminate any potential oil problems in advance while I freshen the motor.....
JTSLLC1
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 1:28pm
The bypass has been ran for 40+ years why would it be a problem now? Sure you can make things better by plugging and or eliminating it to get more life out of your bearings but if your racing you should NOT be using a restrictive AMC small cartridge type filter. Which means all out means no stock filter adaptor.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 1:30pm
Also zero at idle is not good you should never have zero at idle even with a race engine. You should clarify the pump looks mint or the pump specs out mint.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 2:42pm
[QUOTE=74Bubblefender]

In fact 99% of all external filter mounts do not have a oil filter bypass.  

True, but they use Ford style filters and they have an internal bypass. No sane engine designer would design a filter system without a bypass for normal use. You would never do it in an aircraft engine for example.

It'e really not a big deal to run one. Unless your engine is broken it is not making metal so the partial flow is just fine.

When the engine is very cold the oil is very viscous and a filter cannot deal with it. You should have a bypass for those conditions.

For race use as earlier stated it's worth thinking about.

Lot's have done it and everyone has an opinion. Above is mine, and I have seen an utterly destroyed engine with a blocked bypass.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 3:13pm
Something happened on the last pull... I have no intentions on running it with 0 oil pressure at idle...Every pull was fine 25 PSI at idle 55 PSI on the pull restart  to pull off the dyno 50 PSI and then comes down to 0 at idle.. Conclusion we have a problem Huston...LOL

I  run the PH2 race filter....Capacity over a 1/2 quart

I rule out the pump because there is no sign of wear....

When the whole motor is taken apart and inspected I will know what happened...

I just do not like the idea of the by pass opening and sending particles through the bearings...

I would assume the clearance for the bearings is only for oil......Wink So I find it surprising the oil system is designed to send un filtered oil through...

So if Kens set up is proven and reliable it sounded like a nice preventable solution.... He covered the filter issue.....

I remember Garrett had an unscrew-able filter so he could check for bearing material in the screen... A very nice preventable measure to take...

First things first..... need to inspect first.... a cracked pick up could play a big roll with an oil problem....I think Adkins stated he will build no more motors with out an external oil line..

We can speculate but taking the motor down would tell the story... I do not think the pump magically went out of tolerance with out showing signs of wear....But i will re check for piece of mind... This motor has been running fine for the past 12,000 miles includung the initial engine dyno pulls and the end chassis dyno pulls...

As far as the machining on the motor it was the same person who machined Ray Larsons motor.. Mike Yanks.... Very anal... ask Ray.... I think he mentioned Mike in his article...

We anticipate a spun main bearing.... and are looking for any preventive measures to reduce future bearing failure...

This is not a race car just a little street buggy..... with a hydraulic cam ... That I decided to do a little dyno testing with...

JTSLLC1
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 3:19pm
 Fram makes a HP2 and Champion a PL2 (most likely a Fram) that fit the stock AMC oil filter adaptor if your worried. Not all Fram filters share the same media alot of them are good filters. But filters designed with a bypass will bypass in the 20-25psi range not the 5-6 psi range that the AMC spring sits at. To add further dissapointment the AMC spring is made out of what the spring industry called music wire that will lose a certain amount of spring rate initially through heat and then permanently over heat cycles. I cannot count on my fingers, toes, nose hairs and multiply them by the number of fingers, and toes to get the number of folks that are running in all conditions with a plugged bypass.
Ken alot of guys I know here will take everything you say and try to adapt it to every other aspect of their AMC engines reguardless of its original intention. I KNOW its great to have assets like you in the AMC soup. I hope folks reading this are reading with an open mind.

I can only share my experiences so many times. These questions get asked every 6 months for the last 15 years online. Every answer for and against is both out there and invetably predictable. If you do a good search youll find gobs on info on the subject.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 3:35pm
Ok... so let me see if I got this straight....

Kens remote set up blocks the by pass but relies on the the Ford filter for by pass if need be....

Bulltears plate blocks the whole by pass or does it still use the original by pass...

Please clarify...
JTSLLC1
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by jtsllc1 jtsllc1 wrote:

Ok... so let me see if I got this straight....

Kens remote set up blocks the by pass but relies on the the Ford filter for by pass if need be....

Bulltears plate blocks the whole by pass or does it still use the original by pass...

Please clarify...
The bypass is built into the stock filter adapter. Bultears remote filter plate replaces the entire filter adapter. Bultear also sells a bypass block off plate, and the threaded part the filter screws onto, can be changed to allow ford or mopar filters. Correct me if I'm wrong. Jim
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic