TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Why Block The Oil Filter Bypass Valve?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Block The Oil Filter Bypass Valve?
    Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 8:55pm
From what I can tell the bypass valve in the oil filter adapter is supposed to open if the filter gets clogged. Guess the reason is better unfiltered oil than no oil at all.

The center of the filter is the output and the backside of the bypass valve is connected to the same port with a very soft spring. This tells me the filter has no resistance to flow during normal operation.

What benefit is there to blocking the filter bypass valve?

-Steve-

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 9:32pm
We the owners of these wonderful driveway Dinosaurs
tend to change oil and filters more often than people
whom drove them to death back in the day.

With a healthy oil filter there is no need to bypass oil.
Oil may bypass when cold and allow little nastys like
metal debris to get to the bearings.

To block it means careful attention to detail
and frequent oil and filter changes.

I did it on two different AMC V8's 35 years ago
with no issues at all.

Gremlin Dreams
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 9:48pm
You will get lots of opinions on this.

Here is mine: do not on a street car that will see cold starts and general use. There are many conditions that the filter bypasses, especially with cold oil. And I have seen a totally destroyed 360 with a solid packed and plugged oil filter along with a plugged filter bypass. It may have been damaged anyhow, but there was no light on the oil pressure guage so he did not see the zero oil pressure at night. What may have been damage turned into total engine destruction.

On a race car it is not so clear. If you do regular maintenance, know your engine, don't run it with cold oil, have a large capacity good quality oil filter (and never ever one of those orange ones) and watch your guage it might be one of those modifications to think about.

I run 2 filter bypasses on the street car as I have converted to a Ford style filter to easily get good quality long filters (gave up on AMC filters) and those are internally bypassing, and never bothered to plug the stock one.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 5:31am
Funny but I have seen several back in the 70's and 80,s
where the bypass was propped open with pieces of bonnet valve
seals, gawd knows what got through to the passages.....
My last two motors had it blocked, and I will block this one.

I know most of you know, BUT....
So there is no confusion, we are NOT talking about the pressure regulator bypass!
Gremlin Dreams
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 7:10am
AMC V8 oil filter adaptors had 2 bypasses. The pressure bypass before the filter allows the cam/distributor gear to survive, meters the maximum pressure. This pressure bypass was all it took to allow international cars a long life. The result was a success in the international scene. I do not believe the international filter mounts had a filter bypass. In fact 99% of all external filter mounts do not have a oil filter bypass. What they do rely on is a metering of the maximum oil pressure. If foreign material made it past the pump it made it past the path that lead to the pump and past the oil filter screen. To date there are over 4000 AMC engines out there that have either plugged or had a oil filter adaptor that plugged the bypass. Those are only the ones we helped bypass. Not to count the other 10,000 done by the oil filter adaptor that has been in circulation for 15 years now.

Not one failure has been reported. It is easy to speculate that taking away the bypass would lead the filter to solely do its job based on oil pressure allowed by the pressure valve. But that is what the oil filter is designed to do.

If it works in all other makes that use a remote mounted filter why wouldn't it work in an AMC V8? Besides it already working for years and years?
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

You will get lots of opinions on this.

Here is mine: do not on a street car that will see cold starts and general use. There are many conditions that the filter bypasses, especially with cold oil. And I have seen a totally destroyed 360 with a solid packed and plugged oil filter along with a plugged filter bypass. It may have been damaged anyhow, but there was no light on the oil pressure guage so he did not see the zero oil pressure at night. What may have been damage turned into total engine destruction.

On a race car it is not so clear. If you do regular maintenance, know your engine, don't run it with cold oil, have a large capacity good quality oil filter (and never ever one of those orange ones) and watch your gauge it might be one of those modifications to think about.

I run 2 filter bypasses on the street car as I have converted to a Ford style filter to easily get good quality long filters (gave up on AMC filters) and those are internally bypassing, and never bothered to plug the stock one.

Just curious can  the bypass  open when the motor is cold and has high oil pressure while the motor is warming up.... I would like to eliminate this potential problem from happening are you selling kits??? I greatly appreciate your post....
JTSLLC1
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 9:50am
If you want to collapse a filter run a super high pressure spring. That is a guaranteed collapse.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 11:10am
I just run the stock spring 55 psi cruising.... and 25 psi at idle warm 800 RPM...Cold 50 PSI at 800 RPM... I would assume the high pressure spring is compensating for other problems...

I guess I should have asked at what psi does the bypass open.... It was never brought to my attention nor did I ever think about cold oil popping the bypass open.... An oversight on my part...

Letting the engine warm up so everything has thermally expanded is a given... and the oil aids in cooling the motor.... I never thought about cold oil contributing to a problem... I guess we learn something new....Wink

JTSLLC1
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 11:30am
Lets put it this way. You are running unfiltered oil into your bearings every time you start your motor. You can take a sharp pencil tip and push the filter bypass open without breakin the tip. Its a horseshot mechanism.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 11:42am
O.K....

Now if you were to install the external oil pickup plate that gets sandwiched in between does this eliminate the bypass and continuously flow oil through the filter ????

JTSLLC1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic