TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

which manual disc master cylinder?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 3:21pm
This brake hose kit should work:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rubber-Front-Brake-Lines-and-Fitting-Kit-7-16-20,25623.html

The only caveat is what calipers you have. Bendix calipers will use a 7/16"x20 banjo bolt. GM calipers MIGHT -- or they might use a 10x1.5mm bolt. 10mm is just under 7/16", so a 10mm bolt will work with an older hose. A 10mm hole might be too tight for a 7/16" bolt, I'm not sure. Make sure you use a copper sealing ring on top and bottom of the banjo hole. Jeep XJ Cherokee hoses should work.  Most 79+ GM calipers are metric -- or is that all?  Just get the appropriate hose and bolt. I don't know what length the bolt should be, depends on thickness of the end of the banjo hose. The other end must be 3/8" IFF (inverted flare fitting) for a 3/16" brake line.
Frank Swygert
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 3:29pm
Cool. If the XJ hose will work that would be awesome since I have a parts XJ in the backyard.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
kelly1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 5:56am
FYI, I ordered the brake hose kit that farna talked about. Arrived quickly and looked great. The only issue is the bendix calipers I have from a spirit are 7/16-24" thread count and not 7/16-20". Not a big deal. I got a couple of the correct bolts on order.

I thought I was losing it until I had an old brake line and checked thread count. Yup...7/16-24.

fyi in case you order the kit, like farna said, make sure you check the thread count in your calipers.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by kelly1 kelly1 wrote:

FYI, I ordered the brake hose kit that farna talked about. Arrived quickly and looked great. The only issue is the bendix calipers I have from a spirit are 7/16-24" thread count and not 7/16-20". Not a big deal. I got a couple of the correct bolts on order.

I thought I was losing it until I had an old brake line and checked thread count. Yup...7/16-24.

fyi in case you order the kit, like farna said, make sure you check the thread count in your calipers.

My brother had so much trouble locating the 7/16-24 bolts for the banjos that he made his own.
He simply sourced the bolt itself and drilled them out on the drill press nothing fancy or hard about doing it either.

If anyone reads this and is trying for banjos on 82-83 calipers they take a 3/8-24 bolt and that bolt is readily available (once you know what you need). I used generic braided lines, with banjos and bolts from Speedway.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
kelly1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 10:43am
Great idea on drilling the bolts. Dang it, I should have done that but for $8.00 I figured I'd try two banjo bolts from summit. If they don't work, everyone can learn from my laziness. lol
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 2:25pm
Sorry about missing the bolt thread count! Speedway has a kit that comes with the correct bolts for the same price. 
Frank Swygert
kelly1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 8:26pm
Now THAT is my luck Frank. HA!  No worries...there are worse things in life.
raggedred View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raggedred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 12:41am
if the brake drums you are /took off are 9in I need every thing u took off I live in texas what is a fair price with shipping don taylor 817 279 1300 raggedred2@yahoo.com   thank u very much
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 1:52am
Frank, on my '65 American the FRONT m/c reservoir was for the REAR brakes. This is confirmed in the TSM.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
wmildman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2014 at 5:25pm
Do you know the backing plate mounting hole dimensions??
side to side, top to bottom??
I have a 1961 Willys Jeep FJ3A Fleetvan and currently it is a 3 legged little feller. I am thinking about a drum to disk conversion due to lack of parts available. It is supposed to have 9" drums front and rear but if I can pull this off it will be disc all around.
Thank You
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic