TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Where was my AMC bought from ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2014 at 6:31am
The sticker with the Washington Monument crossed with a sword is for access to the Pentagon.  Long before the terrorist decided to F### things up, the parking lot was a wide open facility and anyone could drive through the outer lanes as part of their daily commute.   

I recently contacted a long time mechanic from Courtsey Rambler and he's got an awesome memory.
He remember ever detail about my BBG AMX, so now I know it never had a "C Stripe".  

I'll call him and ask about the AMBO.  If it came from Courtsey he'll remember.
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 12:17am
DC area in 1970 could be Courtesy but, Orbit, Trinadad, Hillcrest, Alexandria, Laurel are options too.
The factory spread around "courtesy deliveries" to all the local dealers.  These included orders from returning military, foreign governments and some oddball USGov. stuff.

We once had 2 6cyl, 4sp, no p/s 4dr Wagoneers for the Army.
Back when the combo wasn't sold to the public.

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
dang50 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dang50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 12:59am
Your link doesn't work. It needs an l on the end .mil
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 7:30am
many vehicles were sent out of McGuire AFB in NJ as well
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
roguedoug View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2015 at 12:39pm
Maybe through the Zone office in Springfield VA?
67 Rogue Convertible 232 2bl Auto
Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493
roguedoug View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by roguedoug roguedoug wrote:

Maybe through the Zone office in Springfield VA?

Recall meeting Joe at Trinidad motors in NE DC and getting a couple of Parts / pieces from him.
67 Rogue Convertible 232 2bl Auto
Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 4:24am
decodes can be confusing as it becomes harder and harder as time goes on
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2015 at 7:42am
Trying to trace history of AMC cars remains next to impossible. In part, and a great part is that there was no (as far as I can tell anyway since being in the hobby since 1979) national record keeping that was made public at all about manufacturing or sales. Thus no paper trail.
My 1970 Mark Donohue was sold as a used car in 1971 to my Father from LORD Bros. AMC dealership in Holcomb N.Y. and I have the warranty card issued to my father and little else.
In part because when my father died and left me the car the original owner paper work with the car had no significance at the time (1979) and I threw it away when I went through the car and cleaned things out.
Much of any other "trails" the car may have had were lost due to rust repairs to major body panels and things like the doors were replaced with doors that did not have rust on them. What I can remember is one of the doors is a 69 and the other a 68 and one of the doors came off of a Javelin that had the optional off white interior which at the time I considered collecting too. And didn't. I liked the looks of it. I think I have only seen one other in the last 40 some odd years.
My Sportabout which I am re-engining and it is done and waiting to go to the muffler shop was sold from a dealer very close to where I live now, but it is gone as is all traces of it. I found paper work in the glove compartment (and did not throw it away). As to Lord Bros? It became a used car dealership when AMC kicked the bucket and I think now gone when the operator known as Jimmy Jeep a second generation dealer died a few years back.
And oh yuh. Not only do I feel old I am old.
On odd occasions I have run across the vestiges of an old dealership but based on the condition of my garage, I should have stopped collecting stuff a long time ago based on how much I have to "off" in order to actually use it now.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tbenvie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbenvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2015 at 11:48am
If I can remember my gate guard duty:  blue letters and numbers were for an officers car and we had to salute it.  Red was enlisted, green civilian workers and black commercial. I would imagine a military member from another country may have had the same colors, but don't remember.  This one has the blue numbers so we would salute it when it went through the gate.
Thomas M. Benvie
70BBO360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBO360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 10:04pm
I purchased my new 1970 Javelin Mark Donohue at a dealership in West St. Louis area. The dealer ship's name was Universally Rambler and it was a small dealership very limited service area. The Javelin was a BBO with black interior 360 engine automate transmission. I really like the car inconsiderate you are the best I ever owned next to a 67 American which I had for many years and never deviate any trouble.  Don't know where it is now but I have heard that it was in a bad accident and had become scrap and crushed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic