TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Where to buy steel 390 flywheel?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to buy steel 390 flywheel?
    Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 11:24pm
I am in need of an internal (zero) balance steel flywheel for my 1970 390 build (4.5" crank flange). I've had a Hays on order through Summit for over a month and a half. Same with Jegs, has to ship from manufacturer (I purchased through Ebay since it said 10 available and would ship in two days, but cancelled when I received an email stating estimated shipping date was a month later). Are the Centerforce or any others shipped in 0 balance? It's the last part I need before dyno time and looking for something asap. Thanks in advance for any help!
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2017 at 6:42pm
Hey Joe
I used a Jeep 6 cyl Mcleod I think. It was zero balance, and had the 4.5" pilot for the crank which I really did not understand. I never worked with a 6 but I thought they would be the same as the 8. May have been a mistake on their part. I was using a later crank so had to machine it a touch so it piloted correctly on the ID.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2017 at 7:38pm
Haven't dealt with this directly, but I recall that you can use any V8 flywheel, if it is rebalanced. Others may chime in to tell me I am an idiot, but I am used to that!

I hope that helps!

Chris 
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2017 at 9:57pm
Ken, that may be a good alternative to the pricey SFI spec flywheels. I have a stock 390 external balance flywheel that I'd hate to cut on. I'm just putting together somewhat of a "budget" engine to take to the pure stock drags, so I probably don't need an  SFI approved "race" piece. (Edit: though my feet may feel better if it is)

Edited by n2ojoe - Feb/15/2017 at 10:36pm
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2017 at 3:55am
I don't know if I'm right or wrong here,
but I would check out 4.0L six cylinder flywheels in addition to the earlier carbureted 6 flywheels.
The later 4.0L 6's have the ring gear repositioned to allow the 4.0L's compact gear reduction starter to be used.

The late model starter may or may not be good for your application, but worth looking in to just the same if you're going with an L6 flywheel anyway. 
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic