TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Where did my car come from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGBADTOWMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where did my car come from?
    Posted: Jun/16/2016 at 9:43am
I have always wondered what dealership my car came from, i have a lot of information from the original title to the original owners owner card amd protectoplate, along with A dealer number but no dealer name anyone know where i can find this out?
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2016 at 11:54am
Since you have the original title, that should narrow down the state. I think that Eddie Stakes Planet Houston website has a list of dealers by state with their dealer id number. What state was the car from?
BIGBADTOWMAN View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGBADTOWMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2016 at 4:43pm
The title is florida but the owner had a west virgina address
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGBADTOWMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 7:27am
the dealer number is 42 1746
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGBADTOWMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 7:28am
the title is not the right title, i actually have the title to another car, so now im searching for that car lol
kalve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 12:14am
Check with Chrysler at Historical Services 12501 Chrysler Freeway CIMS: 410-11-21 Detroit, MI 48288 USA & include name & contact info & specific request they might be able to help & last I checked they do build sheets for the cars. You have to mail it in not call it in. 
1964 T bird Landau

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 convertible

1970 AMC Rebel SST Wagon
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by BIGBADTOWMAN BIGBADTOWMAN wrote:

the dealer number is 42 1746

The first 2 numbers of the dealer number is the AMC Zone.
Yours has 42, which was the Pittsburg, PA Zone, so your car was sold originally by a dealer from that area....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
jambo152 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jambo152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 6:21pm
Guys, I have a more detailed question on this topic. In the example above, I understand that 42 is the zone number and 1746 is the dealer number. 

My question is about the Zone Order Number. Take a look at the window sticker for Eddie Stakes' 71 Matador. http://www.planethoustonamx.com/window-stickers/71-AMC-Matador-prices-Stakes.jpg

The Zone is 10. The Zone Order number is 10-638333. Is there any meaning to the 638333 portion? Is it simply a serial number or was there further coding in this number?
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2020 at 9:36am
Looks like they don't know! I'll look for this num er somewhere on my car and try and see where my car came from/was sold.
amc-rookie View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc-rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 5:53pm
Reviving this thread, but with way less inof on my AMX. Best I can say is it came out of south Jersey.
Any way to trace a VIN to a region or better yet, dealership.
Thanks,
Dave
Project finally underway $$$! near-basket case 1968 AMX #2789 was 290/auto will be 343/auto

Son's car 1968 Javelin 6cyl/3 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic