TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

where can one find solenoid for auto Jav?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 7:14am
The difference is the MOPAR transmission and NSS. Cars with the neutral safety switch in the cabin usually broke the ignition switch start signal unless it was in N or P. The reason the solenoid I needed was marked for 72-73 is because of the transmission NSS grounding a relay or solenoid.
If the switch was on the floor shifter or the column it was the sort that broke the start circuit and a standard mount-grounded solenoid was used. If the NSS was a "grounding" type then a solenoid that did NOT ground via the mount was used.
That's the most basic simplified explanation.
A stick didn't use an NSS like the automatics so had to have a self-grounding solenoid. Any car that used a NSS that broke the crank signal had to have a self-grounding solenoid.
For example, my 70 has the NSS at the shifter - so the solenoid for that car MUST be self-grounding and I could NOT use the solenoid for a 72-73 car on it, unless the solenoid was for a stick - I could buy a solenoid for a 1973 with a stick and use it on my 70
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

The difference is the MOPAR transmission and NSS. Cars with the neutral safety switch in the cabin usually broke the ignition switch start signal unless it was in N or P. The reason the solenoid I needed was marked for 72-73 is because of the transmission NSS grounding a relay or solenoid.
If the switch was on the floor shifter or the column it was the sort that broke the start circuit and a standard mount-grounded solenoid was used. If the NSS was a "grounding" type then a solenoid that did NOT ground via the mount was used.
That's the most basic simplified explanation.
A stick didn't use an NSS like the automatics so had to have a self-grounding solenoid. Any car that used a NSS that broke the crank signal had to have a self-grounding solenoid.
For example, my 70 has the NSS at the shifter - so the solenoid for that car MUST be self-grounding and I could NOT use the solenoid for a 72-73 car on it, unless the solenoid was for a stick - I could buy a solenoid for a 1973 with a stick and use it on my 70
I understand it. All my parts cars are the same as your 73 javelin. All have the mopar TF, and the ground lug on the solenoids. I needed a solenoid for the 74 Gremlin..no dice. Had to buy one.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 5:44pm
The NORS solenoid arrived today (wow, that was quick!)
I bolted it on (the other was actually bolted into hole the PO put there, I moved it back to where it belonged)
Well, first I tested as the box said "bracket grounded" HUH?? No, it's not supposed to be.
Well, it wasn't. I put the mounting bracket on the neg battery post and used a wire and touched the S terminal and nothing, so it was obviously supposed to say "not grounded" or something.
Of course the PO had really screwed up the wiring - the lt blue w/trace that was supposed to be the ground was actually connected in with the green wire that went to the S terminal. Good thing he didn't have the NSS connected! He'd have fried something. I had to put a longer wire on with a connector for the back lug.
I wish people who don't know any better wouldn't try to "fix" electrical issues - they almost always make them WORSE.

Anyway, I now have a proper starter setup - the NSS will now prevent cranking with the transmission in anything but N or P.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 5:49pm
Good deal
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 5:54pm
Tom - perhaps you just need some more parts cars! LOL

Yeah it bothered me not having neutral safety switch - especially since the car was converted from column shift to floor shift - you can shift it into or out of any gear, key in it or not.... there's no physical interlock preventing it from being put in, for example, reverse, without the key in it.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Tom - perhaps you just need some more parts cars! LOL

Yeah it bothered me not having neutral safety switch - especially since the car was converted from column shift to floor shift - you can shift it into or out of any gear, key in it or not.... there's no physical interlock preventing it from being put in, for example, reverse, without the key in it.
I like everything to work properly. But parts cars? Lol...those aren't easy to find sometimes, don't blame you not liking it starting anytime...no thanks...
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 7:45pm
So far these appear to be part numbers that have the connector on the back for the grounding NSS - 

Not sure why there are multiple Standard numbers that look alike and have the same terminals, but I actually found another Standard number - if I can find it again.........

Standard SS590, SS582
NAPA ECH-ST83,
BW S113, 
AIRTEX IM1025, 
ESSEX 3235897 (AMC part number, made by Essex for AMC)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 8:20pm
The solenoid I got was blue, and it is shaped differently. Not what an original would look like. But this car is not restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic