TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When you see antifreeze in the front intake bolt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

When you see antifreeze in the front intake bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When you see antifreeze in the front intake bolt
    Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 11:13am
I bought this car this way. I seem to recall someone saying the front intake bolts need sealant on the threads or a little anti freeze puddle will appear like in these pics. Whats up with this? Do i need to remove the intake to fix or can i drain the anti freeze down some and put sealant on the bolt threads if thats the case to fix it. Or should the intake come off and i clean everything up and start over?
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 2:45pm
Would also suspect the Thermostat Housing and hoses.
Guess it's possible for the very end intake bolts to maybe be into a water jacket.
When apart, measuring distance under attaching bolt heads finger tightened
all the way down in their respective tapped holes, and measuring the thickness
of whatever is getting bolted down, to make sure there actually is clamping force
before the bolt bottoms out in it's threaded holes, seems crazy but can/has catch "misfits"... 
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 6:18pm
The bolt holes are blind, I went through this recently and is was leaking between the head and intake, coming from the coolant crossover. There is not really  lot of metal there to make a good seal, especially if there is a bit of corrosion involved.

Definitely have a close look at the thermostat housing and hoses as possible sources as mention above. 

Sealant on the bolt, up the top more than on the thread may stem the flow, but be prepared to have to pull the intake and maybe even get stuff refaced.

Here is a little bit of video action down the bolt hole:

Edited by WesternRed - Sep/15/2018 at 6:18am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 8:03pm
I'd bet that the T-stat housing is leaking or the Radiator hose at the T-stat housing clamp. Gravity says that water runs down hill; I doubt that it was pushed UP from the intake manifold bolt. Try tightening the Rad hose clamp. Cheap fix.
Mike
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 7:00pm
I agree with everyone who commented it could be the thermostat housing or the upper hose clamp.  I just went through this on a 392 IH.  Had antifreeze around the front two manifold bolt heads on left side.  Checked the hose clamp and it was tight, couldn't see anything coming from the thermostat housing.  So, I removed the bolts, put sealer on the threads, retorqued them, no change.  I happened to check with the engine hot and sure enough, antifreeze was weeping out of the radiator hose.  What I found was that the hose clamp had corroded and frozen up.  Just because it was tight didn't mean that it was tightening on the hose.  Replaced the clamp, all good.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 11:49am
Thanks guys. I think i'll clean it up nice and clean and run the car until it gets hot to find the leak. I know where to look for it now.

1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic