TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - when did the Motorcraft starter "style" change?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

when did the Motorcraft starter "style" change?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when did the Motorcraft starter "style" change?
    Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 12:35pm
OK, way back when, FoMoCo starters as used by AMC had the hot post in the frame.
At some point, that post was moved to the end of the starter and used a bracket on the brush end frame and not the main frame itself..........

For example, early Ford style starters the hot cable connected like this and they later changed to using a bolt going into a bracket on the very end of the starter...... when did that change happen? What year?

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 12:52pm
Some of the rebuilt ones I got had the bracket on the end frame...........Good question.  never thought about when Ford did change.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 1:05pm

I don’t have an answer but I may have the type starter you are talking about on my 75 Gremlin. Now before you get your hopes up and say “OK 75 has this type” I replaced this starter a few years ago and that is what they gave me as a rebuilt. From what I remember the starter I pulled off when I first got the car & the one I pulled a few years ago where like your picture. Now that was first starter original I don’t know?  I thought the type with the bolt on the end was a Hi Torque? BTW this was the first time I seen an AMC starter with the bolt on the end.

Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Mar/19/2010 at 1:06pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 1:09pm
BTW - the wire hanging down in that photo has a bolt through it and is the engine to chassis ground, not the starter wire.
The starter "post" is kind of on the left side of the silver band. That's the actual starter wire.
Others have the wire at the END, sticking out, actually, sticking forward to the front of the car.......
Wondering the timing of this.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

BTW - the wire hanging down in that photo has a bolt through it and is the engine to chassis ground, not the starter wire.
The starter "post" is kind of on the left side of the silver band. That's the actual starter wire.
Others have the wire at the END, sticking out, actually, sticking forward to the front of the car.......

I noticed that  but since some of the rebuilts are different, its gonna be hard.   what starter is on your truck?
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

That is the connection that hits a tube on long tube headers IIRC. Think that is what the Gremlin has on the rebuilt starter.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 6:33pm
I think Ford made this switch on their starters sometime around 1979 or 1980. I think this is about the year range I started seeing the change.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 2:08am
Bill, I believe the first year for this is 1976. When they moved the B+ terminal from the side to the rear of the starter. The only reason I can figure they did this is for cable routing to avoid arching as the models changed.

" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1973 AMX Javelin Pierre Cardin
1973 AMX Javelin Barnfind "Wifes"
Josh View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 8:18am
That may be right, I know for a fact in '78 they had the terminal on the rear instead of the side because I had one out of a '78 Wagoneer with it on the end.
‘66 Marlin, 327/M10
‘70 Rebel Machine, 390/M12
‘74 Javelin AMX, 401/727
‘80 Concord DL, 258/904
‘98 Cherokee, 4.0/AW4
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 9:37am
Thanks - looks like we're getting it narrowed down nicely!
You can't go by those vehicles with starters that have been changed for rebuilts as the rebuilt may be either style and still fit..........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic