TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheelin' in an Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheelin' in an Eagle
    Posted: Sep/25/2008 at 7:30pm
    I have an '86 Eagle Wagon named Erma. It's pretty much stock except for 2" lift front and rear, and an ignition upgrade to the Ford TFI using a Pertronix 40,000 volt coil. I live in the mountains in central New Mexico. There are firebreaks everywhere, so if the mood hits, I can four wheel the last 10 miles or so on my way home from work. It's really amazing how competent this car is off road, especially without low range. I've only ever been stuck once, and that was when it slid  into som ruts that were so deep, none of the tires were making contact with the ground. 4 hours of jacking and putting rocks under the tires, driving off of them, then doing it all over again. In the dark. While it was snowing.OuchIt's great seeing the looks on the faces of the people on ATVs wondering how the hell I got way out there. The Eagles  relatively compact size, and low roofline make it ideal for the trails around here. I try to take it easy on her, as she is my daily driver, and if I break her, I'll never hear the end of it from my other half. Enjoy the pictures..

CaptCarl

Erma on a hillclimb. Diagonal ruts made it interesting
This was before I installed the front end lift. Kinda Surfin' Safari look, huh?
Just before I blew a tire, and tried to make it out on the space-saver spare. Didn't work out.Confused
7 inches of snow and still falling. Power line maintenance road note the only tire tracks are mine. My buddy, whose new Jeep was stuck at this pointLOL, snapped this photo.
72AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2008 at 9:36am
Very cool stuff there thanks for sharing.  Eagles are great little machines, it's really a wonder they weren't more popular, maybe it had something to do with the less then attractive interiors they normally came with.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2008 at 10:24am
WOW! Yes, thanks! Love it.
Great photos, fantastic, an Eagle at play!
Obviously, there's nothing wrong with the t-case in that one!
matt167 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2008 at 4:20pm
Eagles are still around in these parts, not really many at all, but a few.. that's the first 1 I'v ever seen offroading tho..

I don't think it was the interiors, I think it was the company. they were pretty much dead by the time the Eagle came out.. and Suburu had a pretty good handle on the market the Eagle was in
AMXGT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2008 at 10:23am
  I have had several Eagles, still own a 84 woody wagon, loaded even power leather seats.
They are great little 4x4s, my SX4 would get through mud fields when the bigger heavier trucks would sink and get stuck. And for a 4x4 the milage was good. Love them !
"Many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2008 at 11:33am
My SX/4 has a bad coupling in the transfer case. Spin a wheel and you are DONE. (I couldn't get out of my driveway half the time last winter)
So I need to swap or fix the t-c. (and replace the engine, rebuild the interior, etc.)
I'm HOPING I can get over 20 mpg with it. I've heard some claim as high as mid-20's but I'm skeptical. Mine got 15-16 average last winter and 16-17 in the summer. But it's well-worn.
Solid body, solid car - 0 rust.
I owned an 84 I bought new in Feb of 84, special order, and ran it for about 3 years. Only time I got it stuck (and I farmed back then) was when I took it into an open pasture area north of the barn into very deep snow and it climbed up the drifts then settled onto the skid plates and floor........
otherwise, ice, mud, whatever, it was great.
I drove it to Clear Lake one Sunday with the snow over tire-deep and was stopped for speeding driving 55 in a 55 zone! "too fast for conditions". LOL. Just because they had trouble going that fast with their lame cars........jealousy, that's what it was. (the roads hadn't been plowed yet)
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2008 at 12:17pm
Great pics.......where I live, dont really need an eagle, but they were good cars. and I see a wagon avery once awhile. bodys is in decent shape yet.
AMXGT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2008 at 12:23pm
 The SX/4 I had would pull just over 20mpg in the summer, with cruise on. Overall it was in really good shape with 62,000 miles when I got it and high 80s when it got torched. I still get cranky thinking about that one....
"Many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2008 at 1:12pm
Mine is a 258 with a T5 (overdrive stick) and I think 2.73's...............
The goal - a daily driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic