TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheel cover paint protection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel cover paint protection
    Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 9:41pm
Picked up 1967 Marlin wheel covers that look like they've never been on a car. I'd never seen photos of any with paint in the center. Learned from some Forum members that very thin paint came on these units and could begin crumbling off after just a few washes. No trace of paint on my old ones (third photo). The second photo is a 1966 Rambler Marlin wheel cover. The 1965/1966 wheel covers appear to be taller and the center ring section is smaller than on the 1967 units. Most notably, the color is aqua for the Rambler Marlins.

How do I protect these? They won't be going on the car soon. I have the original wheels powder-coated and they can be swapped on if I ever go to a show. While stored, should I use wax paper to cover the painted centers? My concern is that while in storage, if they're constantly in contact with plastic or paper, that the paint could come off, especially when it's warm. And, should I consider spraying the centers with some urethane clear coat to keep them free of scratches while handling, etc?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic