TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What's holding it back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 9:21am
You do realise that if that is a chassis dyno number it is really pretty strong?

Chop 5 to 9 percent in the differential.

Chop 20 percent in the trans and converter.

Tires also eat horsepower.

For an engine running all hooked up and through the mufflers you have some
impressive numbers.

I will venture a guess that you are getting 1HP per cubic inch if it were on a engine dyno.

The 1/4 mile time speed calculator claims you are making 370 hp.

With parasitic loss I came up with 268 hp if you make a hp per cid.
Add tire loss and exhaust pack pressure in and you are there.

There is nothing wrong with your rig.

Edited by Boris Badanov - Oct/25/2014 at 9:31am
Gremlin Dreams
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 9:31am
The chassis dyno can be a little humbling in an internet and magazine world of big numbers, 90% of them BS. Like the ones you see where the dyno is at sea level, tested in December, and the correction factor is up. Total BS.

The one that really counts is the ET and MPH on that little slip of paper, and 13.1 @ 106 with 3600 lbs is pretty friggin good. Out of a basic but seems well thought out street combo, only 375 inches is nice.

It sounds like the tuning is pretty good. Of course there is more power to be found; for example a torker will make more power as would a set of 1 3/4 headers. Might detract a touch from the streetability. You are limited by the BW.

One thing that can really make a difference is an electrical fan setup if you still have the mechanical.

But i would not worry a lot about the chassis dyno number, the important one is the timeslip and it's pretty good. Unless you want one with a 12 at the front.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 10:17am
Was the car actually on the scales, or just guesstimated?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 3:48pm
That is the key Ken, would be nice to dip into the 12's, I'm probably there with a little bit of fiddling on the current setup I think.
I'm sort of thinking bigger headers too, but I would have thought the 1 5/8" would support a little more HP than I'm making. I remember a dyno comparison you posted between the torker and Air Gap and there didn't seem to be much to gain at the RPM I am making.

Car was on the scales a while back so the weight should be pretty accurate.

Still running the fixed engine fan, so might pick up a little there.

On the Wallace calculator, the MPH indicates around 340HP, so not too far off what the chassis dyno is saying once you allow for drivetrain losses.

Cam is installed at 107.

At the moment the car is very streetable, idles at 600 RPM and is very smooth do drive, so could probably live with it being a little angrier.  
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 4:04pm

So all is good.

We know why the car is not showing the numbers
you expected.
As to make it quicker?
Round up the usual suspects.

I would stay with that manifold.
Same cam and carb, you are making excellent power.
I seem to remember that you can adapt a 727
to an early motor.
Higher stall and or lower gears (higher numerical ratio) will do it.

You are already knocking on the door of a 12. pass.
It will not take much.

If you are just looking for bragging rights you could
use a small diameter slick about 9" wide to loser
the net gear ratio for a pass or two.

That should do it.

Edited by Boris Badanov - Oct/25/2014 at 4:07pm
Gremlin Dreams
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 5:40pm
The BW trans is probably a bit of a limitation, but will be sticking with it for the sake of originality, could probably get a decent convertor made for it at some point though.

Gears are also a bit of a compromise, just swaped out the factory 2.87's for the 3.54's, it's mostly street driven and any more woul be an issue on the highway I think. Bit of extra gearing via the tyres could work, but I've just put the current tyres on, they work out at 25.7", so not super tall, I'm running the Toyo drag radials so they seem to hook up ok. If I could borrow a set of 14" slicks and front runners it would be interesting to see how much it would pick up.

Since the 13.1, I have made some changes to the exhaust:

Haven't had the chance to run it on the strip yet, was going today but they cancelled the meeting so need to find another opportunity to run it.

I'm also working on dropping a little bit of weight if I can, can run a smaller battery and less fuel in the tank for a start and getting rid of the spare and jack out the boot might help as well.

I'm hoping that is enough to drop it into the 12's, should go close.

Something else that I have been toying with is that I have a set of 1.7 rockers and I was thinking to run them on the intake side only, I have read that it could help with the split pattern cam and I'm also pretty close to Edelbrocks 0.580" lift limit on the exhaust so can't really use them there. don't know if this would make a significant gain, maybe something to try after I get a time with the new exhaust.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 6:17pm
I am curious, did they give you brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) numbers for the dyno run?  If so I would be very interested in seeing what they were.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 6:24pm
Who cares what the dyno said?  The car ran the number at the track and that's what really matters.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 6:26pm
We don't race dynos
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

We don't race dynos

In the Harley world it's all about the numbers at the rear wheel.
dyno shoot-outs are VERY common in the world
of HD and HD based motors.
It's rare for these people to run their hogs down
a drag strip.

Braggin rights is dyno paperwork.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic