TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What would you do...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 7:58am
I've never had it happen to me,  but then I assemble my own, and other's, engines myself.  It's me that has to come up with a excuse.

One of the few advantages of living in a small town,  I went to school with my machinist,  been dealing with him over 40 years.  A few times he may not have had the parts ready on the day he promised,  but always with a understandable reason.

I guess I'm spoiled.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
monasmarlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 6:04pm
Did they give you a time frame as to when it would be finished? 

Last summer talked to a machine shop about rebuilding the 235 inline 6 in my '59 Chevy. 6 mouths out if I brought it in soon. 8-9 months if I waited until fall when I put it away for the winter. Everybody else (including me) wants the engine rebuilt when it is sitting in their shop over winter when they wouldn't be driving it anyways.
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 9:24am
Tuesday I went down to the engine builders. My stack of boxed parts were still in the same spot.
Dude was on the phone..so I laid my head on the counter and waited.

Long story short, I was missing a piston out of one of those boxes. Other dude in the back was matching it to its cylinder...and I'm told finished date is next Thursday.
.meh.
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 11:45am
Why do these shops take work they do not want to do?
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

Why do these shops take work they do not want to do?

That's exactly what I would have asked.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 3:38pm
I've seen it happen time after time,  mechanics, and body shops take in more work than they can possibly do.  
  I think they consider it a hedge against never having something out there to do.
They prefer to have too much to do,  than not enough.

In case they stall out on one job because it needs parts they didn't anticipate,  and they have to wait on, so they just go to something else, and give the new job a higher priority.

Personally I don't do it that way,  it's just too much mental strain, juggling projects and pissed customers,  I prefer one at a time.

I make it clear when I take on a project that "it takes what it takes"  as far as how long it will take. I just promise i'll not take on another customer's project until theirs is done.  But if my own personal car or truck needs urgent attention,  that will come first.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic