TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What will fit in a 62 American?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will fit in a 62 American?
    Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 6:22pm
I picked up a 62 american that had been sitting since 75 in a dry garage.  I know they guy well I got if from and it ran when parked.  With that said.  The engine is stuck.  I have had it 2 years and it's been soaking in ATF for pretty much 2 years.  I haven't really attempted to get it unstuck.  My question is, if I can't unstick it or take the head off and don't like what I see, what are my options for engines?  I'd like to put a small block in it, but it will be for my 12 year old when she turns 16.  So not sure if that is the best route to take. Thus far the jeep 4.0 looks reasonable.  

I'd prefer to keep the front end the same.  

thanks
DocCreer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 8:04pm
The only real non AMC swap in a ford 200six.
61 American
82 eagle limited
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 8:24pm
You'll have to do some major customizing of the firewall area to fit a modern AMC six in there, like the 4.0 (or 199/232/258) because the engine bay is just so short. And you'll have to do some major customizing of the inner fenders if you want to put some V-6 in it, because it is quite narrow.

Any 196, flathead or OHV, would work except for the 1965 version-which you won't find very often. It has a full flow oil filter down low on the passenger side of the motor that won't clear the inner fender/lower control arm area in the '58-63 Americans.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 8:42pm
GM V6's should work too, but it will require mods for the engine and tranny mounts and fabbing up a driveshaft.  He is in Sardina, for Pete sake so AMC engines (except maybe for Jeeps) won't be thick on the ground.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 11:41pm
hmm yah probably not a lot of AMC dealers on Sardinia!

i've been thinking of looking at an 1980's Ford 2.3 litre, carbureted, here in the US it was in mustangs and the like. http://s965.photobucket.com/user/deveous9/media/0812rc_09_zgm_quad_4_ecotec.jpg.html

the pic above has side draft carbs that would not work (pretty motor though!). it would need a remote oil filter setup (cheap).  you'd want the lower end motors, i think, not for cheaper but for smaller size.

a T5 is behind many of them so performance would actually be quite good.

the catch for the pre-1964 americans is the engine mount system. its no small deal to put ANYTHING else in that chassis.

it just so happens that i'm working up some real performance mods for the 195.6. given that nothing to get will be easy to install, and that it is certain the 195.6 actually fits why not simply have parts shipped to you and build what you've got? i realize the transmission etc is also part of the problem and equally difficult to get parts for (even here in the US).

my advice, likely unpopular, is to NOT attempt to unstick and start it. that never works out for more than a half hour of fun, and generally ruins expensive parts in short order. frozen for 30 years requires full teardown and rebuild, no exceptions.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 9:38am
Ha, yes Sardinia, but not the Italy one.  Sardinia, Oh, 30 miles east of Cincinnati.  The oil and antifreeze look great for sitting 40 years.  I had been rolling round taking the head off first before trying to turn it to see what I have to deal with.  I'd really like to keep the flat head.  But, do not want to put a ton of money into getting it going.  
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 9:53am
My wife grew up just a hop, skip, and a jump from Sardinia, at Russellville! Know the area well!

Since it's a flathead, just take the head off and get a good look inside! Those engines came with cast iron rings which tend to 'sieze up' quicker than today's chrome-moly rings. Keep working at it and it might loosen up!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 10:03am
Yep, that's the right Sardinia, just north of Russellville.  Small world.  My wife knows a ton of folks there.  I grew up 1 county east.
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 10:09am
Sorry for the dumb question.  I know little to nothing about flat heads.  If I pull the head and all looks good.  What if any issues would I cause if I tried to turn the motor over without the head?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 10:23am
Nothing bad will happen if you try to turn the engine over with the head off.  
You might be able to persuade it to turn easier with the head off too,  take a 2x4,  put it on a piston, and tap it with a heavy hammer.  Don't hammer it like you're trying to drive a stake thru a vampire's heart.
Engines usually get stuck by the rings rusting to the cylinder walls,  hitting the piston directly is the best way to break that bond,  if you can't dissolve it with  a lube of some sort.

The bad news is that when rings rust to the cylinder wall they usually rust away a little of that wall.   When you break it loose there will be defects in the cylinder wall, and defects in the rings.  Neither one is good for the engines future. Because they will prevent you from having a good ring seal .

Edited by tyrodtom - Sep/13/2016 at 10:26am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic