TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What U joints 1959 American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What U joints 1959 American
    Posted: Jan/14/2015 at 8:49pm
Ok, I am finding some odd stuff when looking for U joints for my American. The one guy I trust is Galvins and they show two different ones, saying you need to pull the ones in the car out and measure it. All for 10 thousands of an inch!

I am not a mechanic but my brother who is said he has never seen something like that. If they are going to be different they will be a lot more than ten thousands.

But anyway, I could care less (other than the bigger ones being three times the price) but I need to knock my car out of commission to find out by removing a U joint and measuring it. I did some other searches and found a Splicer 5-103X that is suppose to be the one and it's just a tad under the 1"! I have an extra drive shaft I pulled a U joint out of and a Yoke.  They both measure about 1.007 not the 1.010 and the Splicer 5-103X is loose in it! 

I want to be able to buy them locally being this car is a daily driver and I don't want have to wait for parts in the mail or I would knock it apart and buy them from Galvins. 

The U joints are loose and it does have a vibration at 45 or so that I am hoping to fix. 

Any ideas for me?

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2015 at 10:11pm
This is the first time I've seen the two different sizes. I've ordered u-joints from NAPA for my old 63 American and never had this issue come up. It's a common joint, six cylinder Fords used the same one (early Falcons and Mustangs). You might see if your local NAPA has one in stock and measure.

The small difference may be due to a glitch from suppliers. In the late 50s/early 60s AMC tried to have at least two suppliers for every outsourced part. This was due to a problem in the mid 50s with a supplier. I think there was a fire at the supplier and it halted production for several weeks. Might have been early 58, don't recall now. In any case, if the only problem was 0.010" in size AMC may have took the parts and honed the yokes -- especially if it was their mistake. May have sent the wrong specs or not been specific enough? Just guessing...
Frank Swygert
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2015 at 1:44am
I ran into this problem with my 59 rambler 10 series custom w/196 and automatic tranny. My yoke and ujoint was destroyed from the previous owner, good thing there was a cap left which I measured and came out to be that odd ball 1.010 size. surprisingly the driveshaft was still good so I tried looking for the ujoint through local supliers in hopes of finding it at a cheaper price....heck no had no luck at all, even tried a few driveshaft shops and that was a dead end so I had to ordered the ujoint and yoke from an amc suplier Blasers and the ujoint was correct....but the yoke was different 1.00 size instead of 1.010. Tried installing the ujoint, no way, tried honing it, no go, that's some strong medal so I returned it got another one, still the wrong yoke (1.00) so I returned that and had them double check the part and measure it before they sent it and sure enough they finally sent me the right one! That goofy 1.010 ujoint and yoke size is correct on some models, probably on the earlier models and that .010 difference Does make a difference. It's just an oddy but best thing to do tho is take it off and measure it and go from there.

Edited by Ramblage - Jan/16/2015 at 1:54am
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2015 at 1:24pm
Well that sucks.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2015 at 2:27pm
Lol yes it does!
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic