TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What the #E!! were they thinking?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the #E!! were they thinking?
    Posted: May/20/2016 at 9:34am
What was the engineering team thinking besides lets be cheap here when they put a freakin Dana 30 under the front of a 2004 4.7" Grand Cherokee with quadratrac II?

93K on two transfer case fluid changes and axles.

Two weeks ago I bring the boat home and need to back it along the house till we are past freezing weather.
When I got it almost right the front of the Jeep slid about a foot over a sloped edge to the driveway.
No big deal, i gently pulled forward a touch and got a little run to push the boat back, took three tries. Then I dropped it and parked the Jeep.

The next time I drive the Jeep the front diff is howling!!! Dead

Slightly pissed, what the heck? So, I think I'll research this, posts all over the place about noisy front diffs!
I pulled the cover and there was a dust of metalflake to the lube. So I changed it out to 75W-140 that is called for and am driving it. There's not sign of bearing whine or noise and from past experience a gearset whine can last for years. But I am highly ticked off.  

Guys that post about it, some say it took a dealer 3 tries to get a quiet set of gears and then the noise returns with use. 

So, anyone want to place a bet on how long it takes for this set of gears to start really howling?

P/S, Even though we have the money, neither my wife nor I want to buy a vehicle right now. Just ticked off. Anyone have a better place to get good gears for a Dana 30 that have a better metal quality then MOPAR?

Edited by Wrambler - May/20/2016 at 9:40am
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 11:53am
Does your Jeep have a manual transfer case or is it AWD? If it does have a manual transfer case, I would suggest switching it to 2H to make it rear-wheel drive until you find yourself a new set of gears. No use beating up the already worn ones and making the job more difficult and messy when you do replace them. Check Quadratec for some new gears. My buddy just replaced his and If I recall correctly, that's where he got his. 
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 11:43am
110000 on my wifes Grand Cherokee 4.7 but it has select trac, rear diff Dana 44 aluminum center section has just started a slight wine on decelaration 
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 1:33pm
I just recently traded my 2001 Grand Cherokee with close to 140k miles on it. Tranny had to be replaced a few years ago but never had a problem with the diffs or transfer case. Mine was SelecTrac and it saw a lot of severe off road use, as my job used to take me to mountaintop repeater sites. In winter it sometimes took chains on all 4 wheels to get me there, but it always did.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2016 at 3:14pm
Yeah, If I could just pop it into 2wd, no problem, but it has the damned Quadratrac II that is all wheel drive high range and 4wd lock low range and nuetral. No option for hi range 2wd.

My son drove it over a 100 miles last weekend and said the noise did not seem to change at all. 
Since we need
New siding
new roof
dishwasher
Laundry room finished
Carpets and kitchen entry way floors

I'm putting the noisy diff on the bottom of the list.
It was wrecked with frame damage so if it got listed on Carfax it is probably not worth squat anyway!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 7:55am
Typically the howling first comes from the pinion bearing. A sign of low fluid for a long time. Gears sets if set up correctly should not be extra loud. The casing and other components of the 20 are just light duty.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic