TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What kind of respirator to should I Buy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of respirator to should I Buy
    Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 10:38pm
Since I am not a paint and body guy I thought I would get the opinion from the guys who specialize in this area. I am going to be making a fiberglass dash mold and want to pickup some PPE. Currently I am looking a 3M 7500 half mask kit. It looks like it should cover all the bases, but wanted to ask before I make the purchase.

Thanks,
Tom
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 11:06pm
If you have the money, get a full face PAPR mask. It is nice working with a refreshing breeze blowing at your face rather than sweating all over your work.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 11:14pm
I had looked at this 3M PAPR mask http://www.amazon.com/3M-Face-Mounted-Respirator-Respiratory-Rechargeable/dp/B0002XJ1QO/ref=asc_df_B0002XJ1QO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167132320688&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4685012146569305298&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016271&hvtargid=pla-316072979897&psc=1

I am not opposed to spending money on any PPE just want to make sure I get the correct stuff. I am probably not going to build to much with fiberglass mainly because I am not a fan of the smell or itchy dust. 

Tom
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 6:56am
it’s the filters that are serious there are dozens you must get for 
Spraying car finish some of the strongest paint  in the industry buy from automotive paint shop 
You’ll be safe they are only as good as oxygen quality of area otherwise you will need a fresh o2 intake with exhaust to circulate air, wet floor to control dust and good luck

Edited by amx007 - Mar/15/2019 at 7:00am
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 7:07am
This is what I use.....for the price it's unbeatable....says it gets organic vapors

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 10:16am
Very important to get the correct mask. I used a 3M mask for particulate matter when making a removable fiberglass hardtop for my 36 roadster. If you are doing any sanding on the fiberglass inside the car cover your entire body including your hair
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 11:13am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKCQ9WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I use. I tried the inexpensive stuff and they do work. But, as someone already stated it is the filters that do the trick. I was getting the fumes from painting in my eyes, so I needed a full face mask. Fits well and I have no problems with anything when I wear it.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 1:36pm
It makes me happy that folks are using PPE!!!

Don't forget that the filters have a lifespan and some are only hours and then they need to be replaced. Obviously a filter must be matched to what you are working with. I'm glad to see you're going with a full face, I'm hoping you will also be using a tyvec type suit and nitrile gloves. Those chemicals etc will also get in through your skin. 
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 3:11pm
If you are spraying automotive paint indoors, you should have a fresh air respirator (unless you are tired of life).

I have done some painting in the driveway with a full face mask and nihosh filters, but would never go that simple in an enclosed environment where vapours can build up. I also wear a Tyvek suit and gloves to make sure none of the vapours land on skin. It can be uncomfortable in summer heat and humidity, but not as uncomfortable as absorbing paint and solvents.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2019 at 4:07pm
When you ask about PPE on a site like this you get a lot of "mothers".  Sonny don't do this, don't do that.

I'll be your mother for a while here.  Whatever you buy, learn to use it properly.  Learn to check it for proper fit. Do a positive and negative fit test each time you put it on.  If you have a beard or big mustache you are not getting any protection.   A mask that does not fit properly offers literally no protection.  As said above, be aware that the activated carbon filters in the mask (as well as the particulate filter) have a design life.  Make sure you can get replacement filters.  The 3M stuff is easy to use and commonly available.  If you are spraying or using something volatile that gives off an odor, and you smell any of that odor with your mask on, you are not getting protection.  It is best to store you mask in a clean sealed plastic bag when not in use.  

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic