TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What kind of fan are you running?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 5:40pm
With a poorly isolated carb sitting on top of a mass of hot iron, I'm inclined to think that constant air movement in the engine bay is a rather good thing. Otherwise the coolant might be cool, but the carb overly hot. Especially with ethanol that's not much fun in traffic.

For that reason I'm sticking with the factory five-blade, unless I come across a clutch fan.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 8:19pm
As I pointed out, air flow is every bit as important as coolant flow for proper engine temperature regulation.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 11:48pm
Just a 5 blade flex-a-lite fan with a spacer to put it around 3/4 of the way inside a universal aftermarket shroud and 1.5" from the radiator works fine for me. I had to block off the front of the radiator to warm it up enough seat the rings on my fresh 360 because it wouldn't run over 155 degrees at 2,500 RPM in park.

I don't have any opposition to electric fans, I've just never run one myself. Lots of good info in this thread.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 11:16am
Has anyone used the dual electric fan setup by Radiators4Less? Comes with a proper fan shroud and the wiring.
DWR
1968 AMX

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

Has anyone used the dual electric fan setup by Radiators4Less? Comes with a proper fan shroud and the wiring.

No but i used the Flex a lite dual low profile fans in my Matador. It was the only one that would fit as the water pulley fits nicely between the 2 fan motors. Not cheap but works perfect
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

I pity the poor automotive "A"-section V-belt that tries to transmit 20-30 hp running a fan ... plus the water pump and alternator loads ...
Interesting thought. The V-belt is mainly concerned with the torque involved, not the RPM. 

A standard 4-blade fixed fan or viscous clutch fan uses ~15 HP at 5000 RPM requires 15 pound-feet of torque. 

A standard 37 amp alternator running at max capacity is 0.7 horsepower, so less than 1 pound-foot of torque to turn. 

I have no idea what torque a water pump takes.

But yeah, you can pretty much factor on that belt pulling about 20 pound-feet of torque, which isn't much. It doesn't take a lot of torque to equal a lot of horsepower once the RPM is up pretty high. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 6:13am
For a shroud to work effectively you need some room between the "back"  or flat surface of the shroud and the radiator so the fan can draw air through the core -- so air can come from portions of the core not covered by the fan and over to the fan. That makes the setup a bit thicker than the fan, which is usually a bit over 2" -- 2-3/8" - 2-1/2" for 12" fans (smaller may be closer to 2"... I think the 10" fan I had was only 2"). So you need another inch of clearance. For most, especially V-8s, that's not a big issue. With dual fans you have more clearance in the middle since the fans are about an inch thinner one the outside edges. For my six, I don't have room for a shroud like that, not with a three core radiator. I have a pair of those 12" fans against the radiator. The fan blades are shrouded by the fan body, so that helps. Cools fine without the AC on, but with the AC on and 90+ hot humid day, it cools fine on the road, but temp will start to creep up when stuck in traffic. Doesn't rise fast, but after about 10 minutes engine is up to 215 and I shut the AC off. Takes a long time to cool back down while in traffic, but only 2-3 minutes once I start moving. So without AC (and maybe with for you guys up north and out west who don't have high temps AND high humidity at the same time!) dual fans without a full radiator shroud will work great. I miss my Taurus 17" single fan!! I think it would cool with AC and high temps just fine, but it's too thick to use with the three core radiator.
Frank Swygert
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 12:26pm
I guess that I am out of touch with modern technologyConfused!!
BUT....
The original 43 old factory fan/blades (3220621), along with the original Blackstone (E222609-E-4:May '74)
seem to still keep the old Javelin 360 cool on those hot/humid Texas Summer days....

Edited by dltowers - Jul/11/2017 at 12:29pm
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 12:39pm
Man that fan is close to your radiator. My stock fan is about 1.75" from the rad at the closest point and I have a champion 3 core rad.
DWR
1968 AMX

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 3:59pm
I seen these guys over the weekend at Goodguys and the next fan I buy will be from them. They have to be one of the nicest fans I've seen. The guy claimed they test them in a wind tunnel to measure the cfm. The shrouds are made to match the fan and are very nicely made. And heavy too. Not the cheap flimsy type I see so much of. The best part for me is they are quiet. I hate loud fans. Anyway, check them out. http://coolingcomponentsinc.us.com/portal/store/products/category/fans-shrouds/

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic