TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What is this cylinder under the manifold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 3:00pm
That you have chosen an amc to work on is commendable and not being an experienced mechanic is cool too you should be able to come here to get the simpelist of answers without some one laughing or poking fun at your lack of knowledge its a learning curve and im happy your saving an amcThumbs Up
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 7:14pm
Everyone has to start somewhere.......... and the fact he was INTERESTED and/or curious and asked is a good sign. 
Some of us could tell by the picture that it's a GM style starter as used on the earlier AMC 6's and that's likely a 232, etc. 

TSM  = Technical Service Manual.
AMC had one for each year. Each covered multiple models, sometimes all models, some years not all models. There will be a TSM for 1968, 1969, and so on. 
For general parts like that you asked about, even a Motors or Chiltons would be of help but feel free to ask here, too.

Rebels are cool. 
Congrats on the car - most of all HAVE FUN. 
TigreContento View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 7:20pm
Thanks a lot billd :) you rocks. ClapStar
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 10:14am
Here's a great book for you, and it's cheap!! I have a copy myself. Explains everything down to a basic level. It was used by tech and high schools in the 70s (published in 73). Some of the newer books explain more for fuel injection and electronics, none of which you have. Might want one of them later, but master the basics on your much simpler car for now. You still need a TSM, as that is specific to your car and will show things above and beyond the basic level. So when you find something in the TSM you don't understand, look it up in the text book. And of course ask on here!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Engines-Electrical-Systems-Motor-6th-Edition-1973-by-Blanchard-Ritchen/182879787692?hash=item2a947c1aac:g:3kgAAOSwy0JZ~2I9
Frank Swygert
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 6:57pm
I'm one of those guys who "wears my heart on my sleeve" and I figure they gave you a little encouraging poke, not meant to be taken as harmful but more one from a friend.

As mention, you gotta start somewhere. I'll say tho, that's not true, you could just keep buying new cars that are always covered by a warranty, and not know anything about cats other than where to put the gas pump handle to fuel it. Tjat being said, we are honored by your lack of car knowledge and it's nice to know that you choose a car that you liked, you didn't pick one of those " everyone else has cars". Thanks for just naturally choosing a AMC over all the others out there.

From the looks of your car, it doesn't seem to really need much, of anything. Still, a TSM is a great thing to have. It's the actual manual that an actual Rambler/AMC mechanic would have used. Even if you don't do the work when needed, your mechanic of choice would greatly appreciate a TSM sitting on the seat for their use. With all the new computerized autos now days, some mechanics wouldn't know what to do to your car. Theyed spend hours (on your dime) looking for a port to plug up so the car could tell it what to do. They'd have to bring an old timer out of retirement once your car showed up.

No jeers here.

Not sure, but in your picture, right around where you inserted a arrow, looks like your manifold has a crack in it
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 7:06pm
Looked at your picture again. What I thought was a crack, seems to be staining of some sort. Probally no biggie. Also, you did know what the manifold was and you marked the alternator wire as such, so your on your way. My older brother is 47. Tuned up a car once in his whole life (spark plugs and wires in a focus), last Tuesday he was fidgeting with his radiator hose, while car was running, got his hand pulled thru the serpentine belt system. Tore ligaments and tendons from 3 fingers and ended up with about 70 stitches on his palm, back of hand, etc. I wish he knew someone in Louisville, KY that knew about cars, I'm 5 hours away.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2017 at 7:49am
You will find that the 1968 factory TSM is a great book, I have a 1968 Javelin and could not get by without it. There are 3 ways to get one. Used, reproduction or a digital copy. I bought the reproduction the same year I got the car 7 years ago.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2017 at 8:21am
I did see a 68 TSM on ebay for a buy it now  very cheap   was not new or in excellent condition but would be a great start 
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic