TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What is this cylinder under the manifold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this cylinder under the manifold?
    Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 11:16pm
I just discovered a strange cylinder under the manifold, I'm a mechanical novice but I'm making my first fuel pump change, so I have more doubts than achievements, can anyone tell me what it is and what is its purpose?
https://ibb.co/buE3qw -

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 11:36pm
It's the starter .
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 12:35am
lol, yup newbie :-) that's cool, you gotta start somewhere. 

i think i mentioned it before, but buy a Technica lService Manual, aka TSM, it will be a Hallalujia! moment. and enjoy the (seriously) beauty of a well thought out book with excellent photos and information. very Old World.

Browsing a TSM in one evening will reveal a lot. and probably mystify a lot too, if it's all new, but you'll eventually find everythingf you want in there.

here's one, $54, believe me, a bargain. you wont know til you get one.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 7:17am
I'm with Tom == get a TSM. You might also find a text book for auto mechanics handy. I have several on my bookshelf, all vintage. Even have a 1935 edition! But I also have a couple from the 70s, and I think one from the early 80s. Good reading for general mechanics. The TSMs are the factory repair manuals. They assume you know basic mechanics, which you obviously don't. But you will still learn a lot from them, and can ask questions here for what you don't understand. Chilton's manuals that cover many makes aren't very helpful as they expect you to be a mechanic already. If you find a Chiltons or Haynes manual that covers just a single make over a range of years for your car, they are better.

By the way, what car do you have?
Frank Swygert
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 7:28am
I am thinking even a tech school text book could be handy here. Maybe one from the 70's? I still have mine for certain references but it goes through the basics.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 9:43am
Way back when,
car model kits identified what all the various parts were for you as you put the kit together,
that's how I learned what everything was as a kid.

It even helped to shut down a less than wonderful step father once...

he popped the car hood in front of his "real kids" to show me up in an impromptu game of "what's this I'm pointing at?".

He lost when we got to the "Master Cylinder" LOL

Reading and following Lego instructions also taught me more real skill when it came to following Blueprints/Floor plans than I learned in an actual Drafting class. Smile

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
TigreContento View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 10:16am
< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Courier}

Well I think everyone here had their time to make fun, but the situation is that despite being new to the mechanics of vehicles now that I bought a rebel 1968 I have been doing to get interested in their mechanics to enjoy a moment in my garage , I am 33 years old and I have always had a new car, this is my first classic and as a profession I have a bridal shop (in partnership with my wife who is a designer) so you will imagine the incredible contrast.
Thanks to those who advised me to buy the manual, I will do it immediately.
...And because of the jeers, I accept them, the time will come when I adapt to this and maybe I will take care of returning the favor.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 11:13am
You can read up on cars online. It will tell you the basics of hp w cars work. Pretty much all cars are the same. Get a motors manual. It will cover alot as well, and read it. You can find an older one at car swap meets. Generally for the given year the motors comes out it covers the previous 5 years.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by TigreContento TigreContento wrote:

...And because of the jeers, I accept them, the time will come when I adapt to this and maybe I will take care of returning the favor.

No jeers here.  We all had to learn sometime.  And after nearly 10 years of being around AMC, I am still learning from those who have spent a lifetime around AMC's.  I don't think anyone will ever know everything.  And if there is that someone, I'm guessing they are over on a Chevy board. LOL
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
TigreContento View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigreContento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 1:57pm
You´re so kind .
Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic