TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What Carburetor for Factory 4-bbl?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by javelinjason javelinjason wrote:

Thanks again for all the input. We decided to get a Summit 500 CFM M08500VS and a 1/2" Summit brand phenolic spacer. It's a stock engine, so I feel this will be comparable to the Motorcraft 4300 which flows 431 CFM. This will be fun! 
I think that the 4300 was 605 cfm, and everybody will say that the 500 is too small. My modified 360 for my AMX made 1 more horsepower (411) and 10 more ft/lbs of torque (426) with a 600 cfm Summit than it did with the same carb in 750 cfm.
I have a magazine that tested a high 500+ horsepower Chevy engine with everything from a 390 cfm carb up to a 950. There was very little difference between anything form 600 cfm on up. The 390 was 22 horsepower down at peak, which was about 6,000 rpm. I think the 500 would be fine with a stock engine.
javelinjason View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 1:01pm
A quick google search showed the 4300 was 431 cfm. I didn't do much more research than that. He ultimately wants to go to EFI, so this is just 'for now'. Either that, or rebuild the 4300 and keep it stock. 
-1972 Javelin SST
-1973 Javelin
-1973 Javelin AMX PC
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 2:14pm
For information the SAE AMC report rated the AMC AFB at 430 cfm, but this was at 1" hg test pressure or delta P. Todays industry standard for flowing a 4bbl carb is 1 1/2" hg. The conversion is the sq rt of the delta P, so the stock AFB would be rated at 527 cfm in todays world. I have had them all on the flowbench, and the 527 cfm rating makes sense.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 12:51am
The 4300 came in several different CFM ratings. Ford used them on a variety of engines.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AlexK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

For information the SAE AMC report rated the AMC AFB at 430 cfm, but this was at 1" hg test pressure or delta P. Todays industry standard for flowing a 4bbl carb is 1 1/2" hg. The conversion is the sq rt of the delta P, so the stock AFB would be rated at 527 cfm in todays world. I have had them all on the flowbench, and the 527 cfm rating makes sense.

Thanks Ken,

Do you have any figures about the difference between 4300 vs. 4350 Motorcraft?
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 7:00pm
The 4300 is a bit bigger carb than the AFB, and the 4350 is the same as the AFB.

My flowbench cannot accurately flow a carb because you need a monster flowbench with a lot of power. But I can turn it to 100% and measure a pressure drop, and it is repeatable, so I can tell if a carb flows more or less than another. I've had 30 carbs across the bench so I have a good data base.

The 4300 flows noticeably better than the AFB, just a tiny bit less than a 600 Edelbrock. BTW a 600 Edelbrock is a lot smaller than a 600 Holley 1850.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 7:10pm

The 4300 is a bit bigger carb than the AFB, and the 4350 is the same as the AFB.

My flowbench cannot accurately flow a carb because you need a monster flowbench with a lot of power. But I can turn it to 100% and measure a pressure drop, and it is repeatable, so I can tell if a carb flows more or less than another. I've had 30 carbs across the bench so I have a good data base.

The 4300 flows noticeably better than the AFB, just a tiny bit less than a 600 Edelbrock. BTW a 600 Edelbrock is a lot smaller than a 600 Holley 1850.
Doesn't Edelbrock and Holley use a different method of rating? Something like wet flow versus dry flow, and wet flow is less ?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 7:23pm

And Ill believe you before I believe alot of other people.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

And Ill believe you before I believe alot of other people.
I don't blame you. The only information that I have about the Autolite 4300 carb was from old magazines, and that info could be incorrect. I remember reading that it was 605 cfm in an article about AMC performance engines, and read more than once that it was a 600 cfm carb on the 351 Ford engines in 1970. It all depends on how it was rated, I guess. Somebody that has actually flowed one would know. I have one that came on my car that has been rebuilt by Pony Carbs before they ceased operations several years ago. I have it in a box, and not on my car.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 8:30pm
On the now defunct other forum Ken Parkman was generous to have compiled and posted a bunch of flow info for a bunch of different carburetors.  I found some of that now gone forum post using the Way Back Machine, and then Ken was kind enough to look for, find, and send me some more of his good info that was absent.  So it is not my info and don't know if I should post it...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic