TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What are these holes in the manifold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are these holes in the manifold?
    Posted: May/17/2019 at 10:39pm
Can anyone tell me what these holes in the intake manifold are? The car is a 1971 360 2 barrel.

Edited by tom999q - May/17/2019 at 11:18pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 10:53pm
4 is for the choke heater tube - it's heated by exhaust crossing over the bottom of the intake. It has two holes when in place - one goes to the choke stat housing and the other connects to the nipple you point to angled down on the carburetor. 
So you are missing the choke heater that goes into that large u-shaped holes and is held in place by two bolts, and the tubes that connect it to the choke stat housing and to that nipple on the carb that provides CLEAN AIR into the choke system.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 6:41am
#1 Temp sending unit
#2 A/C mounting bracket (optional)
#3 vaccum port

Since your doing a restoration... note the thermostat housing is being held by one stud and nut. Their may be additional fasteners that have been replaced. Depending on how much has been done by past owner... many cars may at least one valve cover fastener missing or associated hardware (washer). Note there are different heads and washers for the location they reside.

Edited by 304-dude - May/18/2019 at 10:14am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 9:30am
#3 - power brakes/cruise control/diverter valve
#5 - transmission modulator/ram air actuator
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

As for the odd nipple on the upper portion of the carb... I think that goes to the port to the purge vapor can.

Nope-  clean air for the choke. 
The choke thermostat on the carburetor is heated via a curved tube inserted into the large u-shaped opening in the intake. The passing exhaust gases heat the air in that tube, it's a air-to-air heat exchanger in a sense.
The carburetor has a passage to the choke stat housing - vacuum pulls air through the tube in the intake and into the choke stat housing area to heat the choke thermostat. 
In prior years the the other end was open to the air - and DIRT was pulled in and they found the choke pull-off piston got gunky fast, and dirt got into the choke thermostat area. So the choke heater in the intake has a tube that goes up to that fitting on the carburetor air horn area - that was FILTERED air is pulled through the choke heater and into the choke thermostat area and the choke pull-off piston in the thermostat housing area gets clean air. 
Note that the nipple he shows simply goes up to the air horn area just inside where the air cleaner sits - it is to supply CLEAN, filtered air into the choke heater and thus into the choke thermostat, and thus into the choke pull-off. 
there are pictures all over the place since it was used by AMC, Ford, etc.
Metal tube (I think I have one or two) goes from the choke heater to the fitting on the choke thermostat housing and another metal tube (may have that, too?) goes from the choke heater up to that carburetor nipple on the air cleaner flange area  - that fitting that's angled downward is for choke clean air. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

As for the odd nipple on the upper portion of the carb... I think that goes to the port to the purge vapor can.

Nope-  clean air for the choke. 
The choke thermostat on the carburetor is heated via a curved tube inserted into the large u-shaped opening in the intake. The passing exhaust gases heat the air in that tube, it's a air-to-air heat exchanger in a sense.
The carburetor has a passage to the choke stat housing - vacuum pulls air through the tube in the intake and into the choke stat housing area to heat the choke thermostat. 
In prior years the the other end was open to the air - and DIRT was pulled in and they found the choke pull-off piston got gunky fast, and dirt got into the choke thermostat area. So the choke heater in the intake has a tube that goes up to that fitting on the carburetor air horn area - that was FILTERED air is pulled through the choke heater and into the choke thermostat area and the choke pull-off piston in the thermostat housing area gets clean air. 
Note that the nipple he shows simply goes up to the air horn area just inside where the air cleaner sits - it is to supply CLEAN, filtered air into the choke heater and thus into the choke thermostat, and thus into the choke pull-off. 
there are pictures all over the place since it was used by AMC, Ford, etc.
Metal tube (I think I have one or two) goes from the choke heater to the fitting on the choke thermostat housing and another metal tube (may have that, too?) goes from the choke heater up to that carburetor nipple on the air cleaner flange area  - that fitting that's angled downward is for choke clean air. 

Ok, will remove my comment... here are some parts that is missing or not oem, though the fuel line is made for vacuum wiper fuel pumps, later 75 on up have top fittings, and may work, but it is not stock for the 71 year.

Note the plug will fit unused vacuum or water ports on the intake. Namely the one up front near the temp sending unit.

I happen to have the heat transfer tube for your intake, which is missing. Though you will need the open air breather tube which has a round pancake thingy and its companion bent tube to mate to the choke.

Edited by 304-dude - May/18/2019 at 10:13am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 10:29am
Donno, #6 could be the remnants of your transmission modulator (kick down) line. I have mine in place still, though the L shaped nipple for it is missing on your intake. I have one of those as well.

Depending on vacuum needs a large y type nipple goes in line to connect with the transmission modulator port as well.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 12:06pm
Thanks for all the information everybody. My car has no air conditioning, no cruise control, no ram air, no power steering, no power brakes, and manual transmission. So could that mean that some of those ports were plugged from the factory? If so, which ones? I'll gladly buy all the parts need. I'm also going to buy the #1 temp sending unit from the auto parts store today. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by tom999q tom999q wrote:

Thanks for all the information everybody. My car has no air conditioning, no cruise control, no ram air, no power steering, no power brakes, and manual transmission. So could that mean that some of those ports were plugged from the factory? If so, which ones? I'll gladly buy all the parts need. I'm also going to buy the #1 temp sending unit from the auto parts store today. 

Ok, i had pretty much the same setup, but with A/C and automatic tranny.

If you have vacuum wipers, it would explain the extra line that looks like its a fuel line from your fuel pump.

You may need the line i pictured for fuel, if you do have vacuum wipers.

Let me know what you would be interested in... so far the factory raised square drive plug, the heat transfer tube for the choke, and the vacuum solinoid for TCS function are available from me. Yet to have a confirmation on exhaust diverter valve, and fuel line for a dual diaphragm fuel pump (vacuum wipers). I have other bits, but are various small parts and trim sections.

Edited by 304-dude - May/18/2019 at 12:25pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 12:32pm
Holes 2 and 6 are for the lifting of the engine in the AMC Engine Assembly Line....the "hook" is bolted to these points.....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic