TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What 5 spd for AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 10:09pm
I think the best bang for the buck for you would be the Ford version TKO-600 coupled with a Jeep bellhousing. You'd need a different clutch and pressure plate, like maybe the Centerforce DF, and at a minimum a different driveshaft yoke but possibly a new driveshaft. 

The speedo cable should work fine though, and you could use your stock pedals and z-bar, with maybe minor mods to the rod from the z-bar to throwout arm.

Probably have to fab a little for the mount at the crossmember. 

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Jul/12/2019 at 10:12pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 4:03am
Any more specifics on which Jeep bell housing to use, year, model, etc? 

T56 is probably going to be easier to source from a junkyard than the TKO, but then you need a fancy bell housing.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 7:18am
This has confused me - there were so many different stick transmissions used in Jeep and AMC. There are long (8") and short (6.5") and several different patterns.

As far as I can tell the Tremec 150-T 3 speeds and T176 4 speeds were Ford pattern, and the 150-T was the short bellhousing. I think it was reasonably common through the 70's into the early 80's. I have easily picked up bellhousing that fit in junk yards, but not sure exactly from what; one was a 304 engine/tranny sitting there. I do believe the later short bell housings were drilled with both patterns, the Ford and the BW SR4/T4/T5, or at least have the casting provision so you can drill and thread the holes yourself.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 7:29am
I guess there aren’t any cheap and easy ways to get a lower first gear and overdrive... I got a quote from SST for a new Tremec package. The first page shocked me when it totaled up to $3500 for the transmission - but I was still interested. Then I got to the second page where it listed a bell housing for $800 and several other items that brought the total up to $4500.... That won’t be happening..
Maybe I’ll just look around for a low first T10... I can live without an overdrive but I’d really like a lower first gear..
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 7:42am
What Greyhounds said. The TKO is pretty universal. It comes in Ford or GM versions, has several input shafts available, and takes either Ford or GM mounts. I tried both and decided the GM mount was easier to adapt. The crossmember did take a fair amount of rework, but came out pretty decent. Clutch linkage worked with minor modifications, speedometer cable fit. TKO uses Ford yolk so I upgraded the whole driveshaft. You can get a shifter location that matches the T10. The tranny tunnel does take rework which was easier than expected.

You can use the GM version with the new Quicktime bellhousing and adapt clutch linkage, or the Ford version if you have the factory bellhousing and linkage.

One respectful disagreement - Centerforce. have watched several people have unfixable vibration problems from that stupid and un-engineered weigh system. There is one set of weights thrown across my shop in disgust from one.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Jul/13/2019 at 7:54am
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 7:43am
Bandana, what engine do you have, & how do you intend to drive it??

A T5 swap can be done for a reasonable price, & will hold up, unless you have a modified engine, sticky tires, & will be racing it weekly. The nice thing about the T5 swap is so much of the existing 4 speed parts can be retained; driveshaft, clutch linkage, speedo cable, transmission crossmember.

If you use a new T5 Z you could probably get the swap done for $2500-2750. Use a rebuilt T5 & save $500 or more.

I did a T5 Z swap in my 70 Rebel 10 years ago & love it. Best modification I have ever done to a car. Do it, you'll love it.
69amxman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 9:35pm
I did the t5 z swap in my 69 amx 343 5 yrs ago and love it , car was a auto, best upgrade I’ve done to car so far love it 
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 10:35pm
I can tell you that a Ford Tremec TKO 3550 is too long for a Quiktime bell. We had to switch directions and we are now going with a TKO 500. I'll be posting the trans for sale. It will be in S. Oregon late next week

Edited by 70 Donohue 390 - Aug/18/2019 at 12:06am
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 5:19pm
A$2500 swap is much more appealing than a $4500 one. I have a warmed over 401 in my car making 445hp/450 ft lbs. I drive like an old man that lives in the mountains. Car shows, Cruise ins, there’s really no place around here to get into the car hard even if I wanted. I’d really like a lower ratio first gear more than anything.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 6:07pm
445 HP & 450 Ft LB may be asking a lot of a T5 Z. But, it depends on how you drive (like an old man), how sticky your tires are, & how well you can handle a manual transmission. And an AMX isn't 5000 pounds. Normal driving around, with the occasional run thru the gears, I think it might hold up. For the price of one of the SST Tremec's, you could buy 2 T5 Z's & have one as a spare.

Here's how I price it out, you could get a rebuilt T5 with the T5 Z parts for less. Or get a stronger G Force T5 for more.

New T5 Z $2000
AMC "short" bellhousing $125
Front bearing retainer, or machine existing one $50
Ford T5 transmission yoke $50
Conversion U joint to connect yoke to T10 drive shaft $25
Ford style trans mount $20
Synthetic ATF $30
Shifter handle $10-100, depends on your taste
Pilot bearing PB76-HD $10
Clutch $200-500 depending on what you feel you need. With your power level I'd spend more $$ on the clutch, don't cheap out. You may be able to get by with just a new disc.

With some careful shopping you can probably find some parts for less than in my price list.

A new T5 Z comes with a new generic shifter. Mine worked fine, but I did upgrade it to a Hurst Billet Plus shifter when I got a great deal on one. I've gone thru a lot of handles, balls, & boots to get the look & feel I want. I find them at swap meets & sell what I don't like on eBay & come out ahead.

I used an automatic console in my car with the T5, it finished things off well. 68-70 consoles are plentiful at the AMC swap meets & can be had for not much $$ if you decide to go that route.

When I did my swap, getting overdrive was my goal. But, after doing it, & driving it for 10+ years, the low 2.95 first gear is just as nice as the OD. There are lots of hills where I live, & the low first make the car so much nicer to drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic