TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Welding a cracked block?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 4:18pm
While in high school and with a few kids drinking in the 58 Ford Y block, I got away from a cop who later said he would have had me If he knew the roads as well as me. I knew I needed more power and bought a manifold and Holley 4V for $20 from a friend. The manifold had a broken lug that I brazed up in shop as described, grinding the V's, preheating it with the rosebud, and eventually getting the brazing to stick. That said, the only value for that block that I can see is as a practice piece or learning tool for kids and maybe a conversation piece if it ever gets to run again. How about three different types of repairs all in a row?  
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 8:58pm
Hey guys thanks for the info. We weren't planning to actually go throught the process of welding it back up. Like i said in my initial post these motors are a dime a dozen. And i was just wondering if it could be done and how one would go about it. I figured it was not an easy process. If it was poeple wouldn't concider a cracked block or head a deathe sentence.

It does sadden me to hear of people just throwing them away. Eventually they are going to get rare. 304s are kind of the same way. I just wish people around me were giving them and the sixes away. I'd scarf them up in a heart beat. They have plenty of power for what i need.

So any one in Missouri or Illinois area want to shed some steel?
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 11:41pm
Anything can be fixed. It just comes down to how much time and money do you want to spend to do it.

I've thrown away some brand X sixes. I tried to even give them away. I needed room for other stuff, so they had to go somewhere. It sucks, someone would need them someday, but I wasn't storing them for 40 years waiting for that day to arrive.

427 Ford
426 Hemi
etc

yeah, worth storing. Worth welding. Worth time and money, as seen in the for sale section.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 11:19am
If I'm not mistaken, you could MIG it, and would have to use a hammer to tap on the new weld to as you go to displace the nickle????  I need to see if I can find that info again.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 11:39am
I've mig welded some ornamental cast iron pieces, and it worked . But when I tried mig welding a cast iron stove grate it didn't work for long.

Heated it up with a rosebud torch, welded it, then reheated with the rosebud and gradually reduced heat. It appeared good, but it broke again after a few fires. I don't know what I did wrong.

It's hard to get old cast iron that's been in service long really clean enough to get a weld without so many impurities it's worthless.

Then sometimes you're welding cast steel that you may think is cast iron.

I eventually torch welded that grate using old piston rings as rods, it lasted.

Edited by tyrodtom - May/01/2016 at 11:42am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
1792 MAT. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1792 MAT. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 2:06pm
I have a complete 199 six.oil pan to carb for $100.00.

1792 MAT
American Motors means MORE for Americans
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 2:16pm
As far as the cracked block, I saw one correct answer in this post. JB Weld it and you will not have an issue.

I am looking for a 304 for my Concord project. Must be 72 & newer.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by raser13 raser13 wrote:

Hey guys thanks for the info. We weren't planning to actually go throught the process of welding it back up. Like i said in my initial post these motors are a dime a dozen. And i was just wondering if it could be done and how one would go about it. I figured it was not an easy process. If it was poeple wouldn't concider a cracked block or head a deathe sentence.

It does sadden me to hear of people just throwing them away. Eventually they are going to get rare. 304s are kind of the same way. I just wish people around me were giving them and the sixes away. I'd scarf them up in a heart beat. They have plenty of power for what i need.

So any one in Missouri or Illinois area want to shed some steel?
Ive thrown 304s away.  I sold the one it was a running 304, sold it for $100.  didnt want it.  have a parts car with a running 304, and another 304 on a engine stand. and then a 304 in my shed.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 4:55pm
I'd be glad to grab a 304.  Just need to find one in my area.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Ive thrown 304s away.  I sold the one it was a running 304, sold it for $100.  didnt want it.  have a parts car with a running 304, and another 304 on a engine stand. and then a 304 in my shed.

I need a complete 304. Sell me one. Where at in IL?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic