TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Welders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welders
    Posted: Oct/16/2016 at 7:46pm
Not sure if all tractor supply stores are doing it but my local one ( Carver MA ) is having a clearance on welders , good buys . The Hobart 210MVP is $688 and the savings are similar on a all welders
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 9:33am
The one I have is the Lincoln 220V MIG model 180C. I paid the extra money for the one with aluminum handle, aluminum feed roller and board embedded in epoxy. 
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 8:22pm
I bought an Eastwood 175 MIG welder which comes with a spoolgun for aluminum.  These are usually on sale for around $480 plus freight and I have used it expensively over the past year welding in panels ans well as heavier stuff like stands, and carts.  I also used the spoolgun on my aluminum trailer and it works well.  

1968 AMX 390 4speed
LouB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 11:47am
I have a Millermatic 211.  It's a great welder- works with 110 or 220V.  Welding sheet metal works great on 110, and light steel too.  I want to learn how to Tig weld next.  I wonder if the combo Mig/Tig welders are any good?  I ask because if I was in the market for a Mig today I may want to look at the hybrid just in case I wanted to Tig weld one day. 
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:02pm
I guess I’d be looking at the millermatic 220 multi process , it’s ac/dc which you want with tig , $3000 but it’s a Miller . The body shop next to me has a millermatic 210 and that thing welds perfect . I’m going to buy Miller only from now on . I have the hobart 190 and it’s ok , also have the Lincoln tig 200 , that is a nice machine . That 211 is a nice machine I’d probably keep it and buy the Miller tig , not putting all your eggs in one basket . 
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 9:37am
I've got a Miller 135 -110V MIG.  I've had it over 25 years now and still going strong.  Great for welding body panels up to about 1/4" plate.  Thicker than that, I use an old Lincoln stick welder.  Had that for nearly 40 years.  I will buy a 220V MIG one of these days.  Probably a Miller.

If you're looking at longevity, pay a little more now for a name brand and you won't be buying another down the road.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 10:48am
Yeah , in my old age saving a few bucks is wearing thin . I’ve been looking for a used 210 , hard to find ( I wouldn’t give it up if I had one ) . I do have a Miller 135xp I picked up at the swap all I did was clean it up , new gauge and modern nozzle conversion but I have yet to try it . Have an auto arc 222 that I got from the scrap guy and fixed it up , was hoping it would weld as good as the 210 , I havnt had much time on it but no where as heavy duty construction as the mm210 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic