TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Weber carb and pertronix ign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ***CASPER*** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weber carb and pertronix ign
    Posted: May/26/2015 at 11:40pm
I recently purchased a 1964 Rambler American 330. It has the 232 from a 66 I was told. I can post pics as im just figuring out the forum thing. 

I am looking to purchase and replace the Carter WCD carb with a Weber but the Weber web site doesnt show AMC. It has Jeep so i was thinking maybe its similar to a 258 but under its list of existing carbs for the Jeeps it lists C-1 and C-2's and nothing about the WCD. I only purchased the car on Friday and havent fully gone through everything. Can anyone suggest the proper Weber Carb for the application and let me know if i switched can i still save the existing air filter and housing because well its just badass?

Need Part # or Model # of the carb and its attached kit 

Pertronix igintion-- Kinda need the same info. Im not fond of points so i would like to replace it. This car will be a driver for me and its reliability is key. The car is in such good shap I really dont need to do much but I cant just not touch something if you know what I mean.

Any Help you guys can give me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Casper
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 1:21am
The WCD carb is a C-2. The C stands for Carter and the 2 would be two barrel. Why do you want to replace it? I have a WCD on my '65 440 and think it's great. From what I've read on this forum the Weber carb is not all that easy to get set up correctly and keep it tuned. You'll also have to fabricate a new carb linkage. You didn't say if you have an automatic or manual trans. If it's an automatic see if it has a vacuum modulator or a TV (throttle valve) cable. If a TV cable this MUST remain hooked up and adjusted properly or you'll ruin the tranny.
My own opinion is that the Pertronix conversion is worth it. I've used it on three different vehicles and never had a problem. Stay with the Pertronix I and stay away from the later II's and III's. Use one of their Flamethrower coils and you're good to go. Good Luck to you.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
***CASPER*** View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ***CASPER*** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 5:25pm
3 speed manual and im having trouble uploading phot0s. Maybe because im on a google chrome. What is your reason to stay away from the II & III pertronix?

Im looking at PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1162A. I think thats the right application. 

btw im thinking of holding off on the weber. I will see how this ignition reacts first. From what im reading Bosh made those distributors. Can you confirm? I have looked and cant see a marking on my distributor but the previous owner did install new points and cond. 

PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1162A

PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1162A

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ***CASPER*** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 5:27pm
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 1:20am
Is the 1162A a complete distributor or just a conversion kit? Some forum members have reported problems with the II's & III's. Your stock distributor should be a Delco-Remy, not a Bosch.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Freecat1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freecat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 10:50am
Welcome to the Forum. Interesting project you have. You will get alot of help here but you need at least 30 posts or points to post pictures. Familiarize yourself with the rules here and do get a Technical Service Manual for your car as many will stress the importance of one for your car. Keep us posted.
Leon Richard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 11:58am
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Is the 1162A a complete distributor or just a conversion kit? Some forum members have reported problems with the II's & III's. Your stock distributor should be a Delco-Remy, not a Bosch.

Conversion kit. Just did my Gremlin.
Leon Richard
73 Gremlin X 258/auto

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leon_richard/
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ***CASPER*** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2015 at 10:36pm
it is the conversion kit for the distributor i have. I purchased an under the dash vintage air style a/c unit. (used) I am removing the generator and going to a one wire alternator but im curious if there are twin v belt pulleys for the crank pulley or a twin v belt pulley for the fan. Any suggestions and any suggestions on the proper alternator?
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2015 at 8:10pm
I would suggest a 10si GM 60 amp alternator. You will have to redo the bracket, but it's easy to build or you can purchase it. I have had excellent luck with the Pertronics on my Rambler and other vehicles.
Have fun,
Ollie
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ***CASPER*** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2015 at 11:55am
Thanks Ollie. Still havent found the pulley to integrate the A/C but im still looking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic