TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Water running through intake on a 258

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water running through intake on a 258
    Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 12:09pm
What's the reason for this and is it nessary? When I built the car I did not hook it all up so now I have it tore down I am wondering if I need to hook it up. Any thoughts or facts in this?
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 2:04pm
Many reasons.It was added in the last few years of production to help meet smog laws and for faster engine warm ups.
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

Many reasons.It was added in the last few years of production to help meet smog laws and for faster engine warm ups.
other than smog does it help or hurt the running of the engine?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 5:38pm
It was done from the very first 199-232, then carried on with the 258. Also the 196 had a similiar system.
  But for some strange reason,  seldom,  or maybe never, on the 2 BBL. intakes

It helps atomize the fuel-air mixture on cold days,  the water heats up before the cast iron surrounding the intake passages.  Can't really see how it would make the warm up faster though,  it just helps the engine run better on cold days.

It gotta hurt full power on hot days though.  It takes up almost half the intake runner's volume.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 6:11pm
That was my thoughts since I live in south ga and it gets hat as heck here and I don't drive in much in the winter time.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 7:05pm
Works great when you're running with headers.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 8:31pm
hi, imo, it keeps the manifold at a constant temperature. I think its a good idea even in warm climates. I run a dd Eagle, and even here in southwestern Virginia, it does not hurt performance, imo, increases it. if one is concerned about runner volume, well, then an aftermarket intake is suggested, Offy or Clifford. again, just imo, but the "late" water heated AMC intake/divorced exhaust manifolds are a good and "factory" upgrade to earlier 258/232/s. Just did this to my 77 Hornet AMX. The exhaust manifold alone, flows better than that old cast iron monster, and is good for a couple of HP. 
thank you, gz
george z
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 8:55pm
btw, if anyone wants a good cast iron 1977 intake.exhaust manifold combo, 2 bbl, only available from 77-80, (please gentlemen, don't get on my case about the 60's 2bbls, too young for that mess), anyway, the 2bbl 258 was first offered in 1977, and the cast iron manifolds lasted through 1980, so these manifolds I speak of were offered for four years, and were usually an option, so there are not as many of them around as you may think. 
Anyway, if anyone wants this, it's here and it's FREE! just come get it, thing weighs a ton and I don't really want to pick it up ever again! again, thank you, gz  Roanoke, VA
george z
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 9:28pm
The only way you could know if it never hurt performance in hot weather is try one without it in hot weather.
See if you can find a factory 2 bbl intake with one.   

30 years ago, before the internet, I was about the only guy locally hot roding a AMC 6.  So several local guys who wanted a little more out of their AMCs,  rightly or wrongly ended it coming around and asking me for advice.

My usual advice was to find the factory 2bbl intake and install it.   I usually ended up installing it for them even when they found it themselves.   That's when I noticed factory 2bbl intakes don't have the water tube, not proof they were never made, but out of about 20 that passed thru my hands , not one water tubed 2bbl intake.  There's a reason IMO they never, or seldom, used the water tube on the 2bbl intake.  I'm taking about the early generation intakes, 66-71.   I've only had 1 of the 79 2bbl intakes ,  and i'm not sure about it.

That's also when I discovered you could put the same 2bbl intake on the 199 or 232.  When the factory did it to the 232, they claimed 10 more hp.  IMO when you put the 2bbl intake on a 199 it picked up more hp than the 232.   
 The 199 was always 1bbl from the factory,  usually had the water tube thru the intake too.   When you put the 2bbl intake and stock 2bbl carb on it and no water tube, the difference was quite noticeable.

I never tried just taking the water tube out of the intake and plugging the holes, easy enough to do though.

I know my 66 TSM shows it just for the 1bbl intakes,  but not the 2bbl intakes.
Has anyone seen a factory 2bbl intake with the water tubes?

Edited by tyrodtom - Apr/16/2017 at 9:34pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 9:29pm
It's beneficial to have a the intake manifold heated by some means, whether its by water or by an exhaust heat riser. Not just for emissions, for a whole host of good reasons.

Engines need vaporized gasoline to run. The carburetor just dribbles raw, liquid fuel into the intake manifold. It's the intake manifold's job to vaporize that fuel and evenly distribute it to all cylinders. It needs heat to vaporize the fuel, and the process of vaporization continuously absorbs that heat, so a continuous supply of heat is necessary, even on a fully warmed-up engine. A cold intake manifold simply dribbles liquid gasoline into the cylinders, and it won't distribute the fuel evenly. Some cylinders will run richer than others. The liquid fuel may vaporize after it dribbles into the hot cylinders, but it only has a short period of time to do so before the spark plug tries to ignite it, and not all of it will vaporize in time. Only the vaporized portion of the fuel will burn. The rest just washes the oil off the cylinders, causing greatly increased cylinder bore and piston ring wear. Since the liquid fuel doesn't burn, the engine will run leaner unless the carburetor mixture is enriched. This ruins fuel economy.

You need a warmed intake manifold, especially on an inline six. Their manifolds hang of the side of the engine in the open air and are prone to get cold unless heated by either water or exhaust heat. They are also long and won't distribute the fuel evenly unless they are warm to vaporize the fuel.

Edited by FSJunkie - Apr/16/2017 at 9:54pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic