TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Water pump replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 10:31am
The correct term is core plug. The holes are part of the casting process and must be plugged to keep water in the block. Most people refer to them as freeze plugs and may help protect against frozen coolant, but I have seen a few cracked blocks with the "freeze" plugs still intact.

I believe there are also drain plugs on either side of the block. These will be threaded with 3/8" square heads (I stand corrected, see post below). You don't really want to remove core plugs as they are a pain to install with the engine in the car.

Edited by bigbad69 - Aug/07/2012 at 1:58pm
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
brahlf View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brahlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 11:45am
There are two threaded 1/8 inch pipe plugs in the block, one on each side. Should have 9/16 hex head. If I remember correctly they are located somewhere near the motor mount brackets. They can be tough to remove. Years of corrosion. I have taken them out with a impact wrench, also have striped the heads trying to take out. Much easier if the engine is out. If you get them out you will probably have to poke something in the hole to dislodge all the crap.

Do not remove any 'freeze' plugs if you have never done this before. Again easier if the engine is out. They are easy to remove but difficult to reinstall correctly with the engine in the car.

Hope this helps,

Bruce
Bruce

1969 American wagon 290

1966 American Convert 290

1972 Gremlin X Factory 304

1978 Matador Wagon 360

1989 Jeep Comanche

3 AMC Eagles, not running yet
68amxgold View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amxgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 12:06pm
Hey Bruce.  Thanks.  That's pretty clear.  Guess I'll crawl under and see if I get lucky.  Might better soak it good with PB and borrow the neighbors impact wrench.
Jska View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 10:05pm
Hi, do you recall if you removed the power steering pump? or Can I remove the pulley and the two bolts that attach the swing arm? and then reattach after install water pump.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 10:23pm
The pipe tread core plugs will likely have crud blocking them. After removal, take a penny nail or stubby screw driver to clean it out.
Best to get a pipe tap and clean the threads before installing new plugs.
I use Aviation Form a Gasket as pipe dope here, there are other products but a sealant of some sort is best in this location from my experience. 
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 11:56am
Back cylinders of my engine was packed with some kind of black silt.  Pressure washed through core plugs before replacement but later pulled heads and was surprised at how much I hadnt got out.  Only reason I did it was a leaking steel core plug (welch plug is another term).  Recommend brass plugs, but if you maintain coolant steel will last a long time.  
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 12:21pm
Formally the term "Welch plug" only applies to the concave flat disc style of plug.  The alternative is the tapered cup design. I offer some information.  Ignore, heed, matters little to me.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 12:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic