TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Water pump replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 12:06pm
be patient when removing the water pump bolts....some are very long and skinny (small dia.) they are steel bolts threaded into aluminum and can really be stuck, easy to twist off! 
360 5-speed orig owner...
68amxgold View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amxgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 1:03pm
I'm down to 1 bolt.  The bolt that also holds the ac compressor on.  Technically, I remove the nut holding the compressor bracket to the water pump, the bolt holding compressor bracket to intake, and nut holding compressor to another bracket and yet compressor won't budge.  If compressor won't budge then water pump won't come off.  Any ideas?  Trying to post pics but unable to so far.

Edited by 68amxgold - Aug/06/2012 at 1:04pm
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 1:22pm
I think there's a bolt holding the cast aluminum compressor mount to the front of the cylinder head -- may be covered with gunk, but it's there -- up under the flat face that the compressor mounts to.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
68amxgold View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amxgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 1:29pm
Well, let's go see.  I've been staring at the tsd I'm off to try again.
brahlf View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brahlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 2:37pm
There should be a 5/8 headed bolt or stud that holds the compressor bracket to the cylinder head.  It is kind of hidden under the bracket.  Again if the bracket isn't loose don't force it.

I have included a drawing from the parts book, this may help.

Bruce

Bruce

1969 American wagon 290

1966 American Convert 290

1972 Gremlin X Factory 304

1978 Matador Wagon 360

1989 Jeep Comanche

3 AMC Eagles, not running yet
68amxgold View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amxgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 2:47pm
Thanks for the diagram.  I found a nut and a bolt underneath the compressor attached to block covered in crud.  Got the compressor off now it appears I gotta remove the alternator bracket as it is in front of the water pump.  So I've had to remove the radiator, ps pump, alternator, and ac compressor just to pull the water pump.  Oh my.  I wonder what chance I have of remembering where everything goes and in what order.

Many thanks to all.  Looks like I could use another book to go with my tsm.  Will let you know "if" I can get it back together.  Back to the car to fumble with the alternator.
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 3:01pm
take pictures (better late than never) to see where parts go!
68amxgold View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amxgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 4:05pm
Oh I've been taking pictures.  And then when I pull a part off I put the bolt back in the hole.  I guess it's the sequencing I better write down.  But after a long day the water pump is off.  Much thanks to all.  Funny thing is I expected it to look much worse with all the rust everywhere else.  Now I'm shooting water through to push as much gunk out.  And definitely going to degrease around the front of the engine.
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 5:36pm
glad to hear!  when you get it back together try some radiator flush and install a back flush kit in the heater hose. that'll clean out the heater core.

Edited by kwkslvr73 - Aug/06/2012 at 5:37pm
68amxgold View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amxgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 6:09pm
So got a kinda bizarre question.  I noticed that the 2 longest bolts I pulled from the water pump (maybe 5-6 inches) were brown and gummy about the last inch or so of the tips.  Any idea what would cause that and should I be concerned?

Edited by 68amxgold - Aug/06/2012 at 6:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic