TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Water Lines on Indy Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Lines on Indy Intake
    Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 6:16pm
I have observed a number of racers run a water line on the Indy intake front to back on each side of the carburetor. What is the purpose of said lines and what advantage is it? Thanx, Scramboy.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 7:22pm
It allows the pressurised flow from the rear, where temps will be higher, due to being last in line. Technically it is to equalise temps, and keep heat from effecting engine performance.

For most using strip only, it is not a requirement.

Endurance and driven half filled blocks will need it most.

Oh, I just realised Indy not eddie, indy heads are solid, or mostly solid, so there is no flow of cooling like iron. It's a requirement so to speak to allow water to pass on to the front, as the head has no passages.

Now anyone interested in reverse flow? Ooops! Scarpers off, quietly.

Edited by 304-dude - Nov/15/2018 at 7:29pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 6:15am
So you are saying that it is more of a requirement on an Indy headed engine, there is no flow front to back like on a steel head?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 6:34am
Originally posted by scramboy scramboy wrote:

So you are saying that it is more of a requirement on an Indy headed engine, there is no flow front to back like on a steel head?
I do believe so, from what I gather with how the indy heads allow for the most radical port flow design. I assume, there is very little room for cooling passages, if any.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 6:53am
Oh, I see the port size takes up the area that would occupy coolant passages. I am running Indy heads and manifold, the water temp gauge wouldn't reflect the discrepancy front to back.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 7:28am
Originally posted by scramboy scramboy wrote:

Oh, I see the port size takes up the area that would occupy coolant passages. I am running Indy heads and manifold, the water temp gauge wouldn't reflect the discrepancy front to back.

Correct. You may test for yourself to compare how your front to rear cooling is being done, by moving the temp sensor to the rear. If both look to be within a few degrees between each other, then your setup with rear lines are doing the job.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 9:23am
Ah, somewhere I had read that somebody was making comment about what can be done to aluminum heads, and indy was of the topic. Stating water passages were not an issue like iron heads. Maybe they were talking about eddies, but after reading I stumbled upon many Indy head users using the T or porting to the front with lines. So I assumed wrong that it is mandatory. Just better provisioned on their intake.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 9:23am
Indy heads are NOT solid. They have full coolant passages.

">

IIRC, the Indy intake has bosses at the rear for coolant flow balance lines both sides, so easy to add. Stock and most aftermarket intakes only have a boss on passenger's side for the line that normally goes to the heater. Without a heater, this line typically is routed directly to the water pump, but some cap it or route to the front water crossover.

Aftermarket intakes can be modified to add a coolant balance line to driver's side rear water port. Some prefer to tee to passenger's side at rear rather than routing lines to the front water crossover. Not sure what testing has been done as to best arrangement? Stock works fine for stock use.

Mine with AirGap modified for coolant balance line (tube) teeing to passenger's side with Indy SR heads.

">

My understanding is Edelbrock was planning to put a boss for a coolant balance line on driver's side on their new EFI intake.

Hope this helps, RD
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Ah, somewhere I had read that somebody was making comment about what can be done to aluminum heads, and indy was of the topic. Stating water passages were not an issue like iron heads. Maybe they were talking about eddies, but after reading I stumbled upon many Indy head users using the T or porting to the front with lines. So I assumed wrong that it is mandatory. Just better provisioned on their intake.

This comment may have been relative to the extra head bolts. On stock and Edelbrock heads, you will hit the coolant passage so need to sleeve and seal it to add the extra bolts. The guys that worked with Indy to develop the AMC head got them to make the casting with solid material where the extra bolts go, so can add without hitting water. I have the extra bolts on mine (can see the bolt holes in the photo of the Indy head above ... assuming photo shows up).

Hope this helps,RD
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 10:38am
I thought that they did it because it looks cool...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic