TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Warm starting problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warm starting problem
    Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 10:08am
Finally got my Javelin tagged and inspected. So its being driven more and on longer trips. It has developed a warm starting problem. When its stone cold it fires right up, but it once warmed up I have to pump the heck out of the gas pedal to get it to start. Once it starts you can smell the extra fuel in the exhaust.

It is an 83 360 with a Edelbrock performer intake and Edelbrock 1406 carb with electric choke, running off of an electric fuel pump.

Any Ideas?
AMCT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 10:27am
Could be a bad coil. Fine when cold but develops a short when warmed up. Hope this helps.
Dirt is for racing asphalt is for getting there.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 10:28am
IMHO if you have an electric fuel pump there is no reason to be whomping on the gas pedal. All you're doing is flooding the engine. Get your foot off the pedal and check out the ignition system.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 11:20am
I was figuring it was a fuel problem since it would start after pumping. To be honest I didn't consider the ignition system. It's running a new HEI and it has fired up every time I turned the key, but again I haven't had it on the road. It was only starting and running in the shop, or when I needed to move it.    
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 3:04pm
After a complete warm up (over 20 minute drive)
let it sit for same time as when engine would not re-start.
Remove air cleaner, actuate throttle manually at carburetor and verify fuel is squirting down the venturi by the accelerator pump.
If no squirt fuel is leaking or boiling out of fuel bowl and that's why pumping the pedal seems to fix it.

if it has fuel,

check for spark at the spark plug, if it's not a very bright crisp crack blue in color you have ignition trouble.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 3:50pm
All of the above are possibilities. Another one might be to look at what kind of heat crossovers and undercarb spacers you have. I have a similar hot start issue and I believe it is because I took out the carb spacer for clearance with an R4B and ram air. Throw in that I have not blocked off the heat crossover and I think it is overheating the carb.

Chris

Edited by ccowx - Jan/29/2015 at 3:54pm
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 7:03pm
In the past I confused myself thinking I had one of the above mentioned typical hot start problems and instead I needed a carb overhaul.

I like the previous answers better but I was pouring fuel down one barrel of four and actually flooding things when I thought I was generating a vapor lock. Go figure.

Bruce Clarkson

PS: The folks at Hobbs carb did a bang up job quickly overhauling the carb.
Bruce Clarkson
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 8:02pm
Is it worse after a long highway run?

It sounds like an over heated intake heat stove/crossover.

I have had an over heated Torker on a 390 that would
boil the carb empty in a matter of a couple of minutes.

I block the crossovers these days. Unless you are a jeep driver
who runs these cars in wintah anyway?

Edited by Boris Badanov - Jan/29/2015 at 8:07pm
Gremlin Dreams
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 8:07pm
Push the throttle 1/2 way and hold it there while cranking until it starts. release as soon as it starts and feather it lightly until it clears itself out of fuel. It's pretty normal for them to boil the fuel in the carburetor after you shut the engine off, especially so with the winter blend gasoline.

Should fire within 2-5 seconds. I'd only be concerned if it took longer than that.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

All of the above are possibilities. Another one might be to look at what kind of heat crossovers and undercarb spacers you have. I have a similar hot start issue and I believe it is because I took out the carb spacer for clearance with an R4B and ram air. Throw in that I have not blocked off the heat crossover and I think it is overheating the carb.

Chris

Same issue here...R4B, 1406 carb, no spacer because of the ram air. Fuel boils when shut off.
1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic