TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Want to install a TH400 into my 66 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to install a TH400 into my 66 Classic
    Posted: Nov/12/2016 at 4:30pm
I recently bought the adapters needed to install a nailhead TH400 into my 66 Classic. My questions is, I did not get the prestolite starter, and am wondering if my Delco unit will work, or do I need to contact the person I bought it from, and buy the Prestolite unit? I see there is a spacer for the prestolite to attach to the cast iron adapter, so I was hoping mine would be useable in the conversion, but since my car is still being driven, I don't want to just pull the starter to fit it, so hopefully someone can give me experienced advice. I am still considering the small car - Spirit/AMX - rear end, to convert over to, and keep it all AMC.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2016 at 5:53pm
Cricket, You got me to scratching my head. So I went out in the garage and looked at a spare'73 Jeep Wagoneer 360/TH400 I have. It has a Motorcraft starter on it D2TF 11001. This eng/tranny was pulled out of a running Wagoneer.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2016 at 9:19pm
Guess I should have stated, mine is the earlier 1967 Wagoneer unit, that had the GEN1 AMC 327 in it, same as my 66 Classic. Later models are completely different. See pics of my unit.

Edited by Cricket - Nov/12/2016 at 9:24pm
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2016 at 9:42am
So you originally had a BW trans. behind the 327 and that adapter in the lower picture is to fit the TH400?

I have not had personal experience in trying the three different starters on the same engine but my understanding is that you could use either the Prestolite (IMO better quality) or Delco starter or probably even Ford starter (IMO the worst quality for longevity). I think I'd want to make sure by first seeing how the gears mesh by somehow extending the drive.
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2016 at 9:59am
That's correct, I still have a BW8 in my car, and the adapter shown uses a Nailhead Buick type transmission. I have been told the prestolite starters were horrible, and many people swap them out due to problems, but don't know what was used. The parts houses do not have any for replacement or repair parts. The Ford starter, as far as I can tell, will not bolt to this adapter, and I don't have a spare Delco unit to try. I may just remove mine and try it, or see if the parts house has one for me to check out. Thx. Cricket
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2016 at 10:43am
If you have a problem with starters fitting... that starter adapter can be used as a template to assist in making a new adapter. It would require... installing everything but the Nail head tranny and the starter adapter. Then with wood blocks find a good distance required for engagement for the starter of choice to mesh with teeth. You will need to kick out the gear manually to check proper distance. Once you have the thickness set, mount on wood cutouts (layered wood sheets or cut block) verify inboard clearance to teeth and set, for measurement. Compare your block with adapter and cut a new adapter from aluminum. It may be more work than you want but it should make using a starter that works for your needs without having to obtain some other tranny adapter to make things work.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2016 at 11:39am
Maybe try a Jeep forum and see what starters are used with the adapter. Only Kaiser Jeep used the adapter with the AMC 327 and Buick Nailhead trans (also sold as a "universal" TH400 due to the shallow bell, which allowed plenty room for an adapter), from 65-68. You might just look at starters for those applications. Rock Auto only lists Delco-Remy remans...
REMY 25365 for 65-71 Jeeps (69-71 Jeeps used a Buick 350, replaced in mid 71 by AMC V-8s).
So I'd say it's safe to assume that either the Prestolite or Delco starters will work, but not the Autolite.
Frank Swygert
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2016 at 12:10pm
Will check it out, thanks!
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2016 at 3:30pm
Let me know what you find out.
I have the prestolite starter, but only the one I need.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2016 at 5:07pm
Thanks Mark,
I was able to contact the fellow, and he is sending me the starter. He said it was working fine when he parted out the rust bucket Jeep. Only charged me 40 bucks, and shipped it free, so I am a very happy Rambler now! I guess I will be looking to try and get a Spirit/AMX rear end and put in leaf springs, next.
Thanks to everyone!
Cricket
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic