TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Voltage Regulator Wire Question HELP PLEASE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2017 at 9:47am
No, do not connect it to anything.

We don't need the F/I or the P. Newer cars use that mystery stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if you connected that to ground that the alternator would fail.

Edited by vinny - Apr/14/2017 at 11:29am
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2017 at 6:16pm
FINALLY, CHARGING JUST OVER 14 VOLTS!!!
Thank you ALL, you are a great group of people!!!!!
You stuck with me for months on this one. 

One thing, my ALT light is still on while running? 
Can I just disconnect it from the new alt?

Again, THANK YOU TO ALL of my AMC brethren. 

Kensey 

Gremmy Power!!!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2017 at 8:22am
I can't help with that. I think that wire wants resistance and maybe the resistance of the bulb is not enough. That extra resistor could be a required piece. I have seen two conversions work fine without it but over the years they may have made changes to the alternators with some requiring it. I would have it checked out at a reputable electrical shop.  
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2017 at 9:13am
If the light stays on while running, that makes me think a diode in the alternator. I think the light is part of the charging curcuit, so the bulb is the resistance. But I'd have to look in the TSM. I also have a 1972, but mine is a V8
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 9:33am
https://alternatorparts.com/cs130-sbpage1.html

I find there is so much info on the Internet about this CS130 alternator. The above link is about overhauling the thing, which I would never do because I get them so cheap at the junk yard. Nonetheless it shows how to wire it using just the L for lamp (with a resistor) and S for sense. I have had no problems retro fitting it to a vehicle that has previously used an external regulator and I was too lazy to add the resistor. I have not had one fail yet due to lack of the resistor but maybe will add one yet to my Rambler. P gets used for a tachometer and I (or F?) is used for ECU which we don't have on our  old cars. Like the 10si with 1 and 2 for labeling, for this one we need only L and S. 

One thing I noticed in one of pages relating to the above link is that this alternator has an additional function to turn the light on if there is something not correct with the output voltage. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic