TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vintage Gremlin Autocrosser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Gremlin Autocrosser
    Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 6:21pm

Maybe no longer relevant but thought you might find my post about a Gremlin I had that could beat  most of the class in E Stock back in the 70's. Autocross was different back then in that we ran the course three times, and we made 3 laps per run. Our fastest 3 lap run was the one that counted. Here's my story.

I ordered this '72 Gremlin from the factory with the V8, Manual 3 speed Tanny, Posi rear, quick ratio steering and Heavy Duty Suspension to go Auto Cross racing, and as my daily driver. E Stock qualified, I had  a total of 8 First place wins in a class that included BMW 2002s, Datson Roadsters, Solid Axle Corvettes, Corvairs, etc. The only mods, as allowed, were bigger tires, a rear roll bar and traction bars to stop rear wheel hoping under hard braking. I also clamped the front springs down one coil height and raced with a full tank of gas to give the car 50/50 weight balance and neutral steering.  The BMW guys were use to Winning and called foul all the time but the rules were never broken. The engine was stock 2 Barrel, 150HP which at the advice of an AMC Mechanic, I advanced the timing 10 degrees and change the clutch from a 10" plate to an 11".  Sadly, most Auto Cross Racing in Md, Va, and Pa was shut down with the removal of the Blue Laws, that kept the Mall Parking Lots where we race,Closed on Sundays and the stores were allowed to Open.  Loved the Gremlin and is still my most memorable car.

http://forums.aaca.org/uploads/monthly_2017_02/20170203_094059.jpg.b3b80d23b30cdcbd140e2dbe7ed0aba3.jpg - 20170203_094059.jpg

Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 6:30pm
Forgot to mention a couple other interesting points. I was racing on F60-14 Bias Ply NON RADIAL Tires pumped up to 45 lbs Air Pressure and the BMWs were on Radial Tires!  Not sure if this helped me or hurt me. I do know that the Bias Ply tires with the stiff side walls and the neutral balance I achieved running with the weight of a full gas tank allowed me to drift all four wheels in the turns and accelerate early coming out of the Turns. Wink

Also, I eventually bent the three speed manual transmission shift rods. The shifting from 1st to second on a three speed took a beating and bowed the rods so the shift pin would wind up out of the rod slots and wedged between the 2 rods. I started looking for a Hurst Shifter to put in it and couldn't find one so I contacted Hurst. The said they hadn't designed one for the three speed AMC, BUT if I'd commit to buying one and give them a month or two they'd build it.........and they did! So if anyone bought a used Gremlin X in Maryland in 1974 that had a Hurst Shifter, that was my Gremlin, may be a one of a kind. There was a MACE Club Sticker on the rear Hatch window. MACE was our Autocross, Rally, SCCA  Racng Club and it stood for Maryland Auto Club Enthusiasts.

Edited by Doug in New Freedom - Feb/10/2017 at 8:34am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 6:36pm

·  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/288196-my-most-memorable-car-story/?do=findComment&comment=1566214 - #17

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/288196-my-most-memorable-car-story/?do=findComment&comment=1566214 - Posted  ·  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/288196-my-most-memorable-car-story/?do=reComment&comment=1566214 - Report post

One more Picture that was in the Stop Watcher centennial that we had back then with the weekly

results for all the Racing going on. Always wondered where my old Gremlin is today.

http://forums.aaca.org/uploads/monthly_2017_02/20170203_094258_1486137170796.jpg.9e714c23ea765687c74aab2a0658c377.jpg - 20170203_094258_1486137170796.jpg

garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 7:35pm
Stories like this are always relevant. Thanks for sharing.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 8:24pm
Thanks Gar,
Here's another vintage picture of a Gremlin from the "Stop Watcher''  that is no longer published.
This isn't my car but these guys were tearing it up SCCA/IMSA racing back in the 70's. 

The Gremln SCCA/IMSA cars did very well back in the early 70's. They actually were Inline Six modified engines, the cars were Red White and Blue driven by George Alderman and Amos Johnson. There was a third Gremlin with these guys but don't remember who the driver was. The Stop Watcher had  pictures of them finishing First, Second and Third against mostly BMW's in 1974. The picture (not mine) below was taken at the Daytona Goodrich Radial Challenge. It's George's Car, he and Bill Scott shared driving. The Gremlins First and Second, the BMW 2002s Third and Fourth.  

Coolest thing in this picture is it looks like he's lifting the right rear wheel in the turn going up hill.

http://forums.aaca.org/uploads/monthly_2017_02/20170204_110359_resized.jpg.44f2b5757ff901242a2487cb890bab1c.jpg - 20170204_110359_resized.jpg

greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 1:33pm
    Cool.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 10:38am
Thank you for the cue!  I love this thread already.

And YOU survived to tell us this exciting story!

I was just reviewing the '55 LeMans Disaster last night on YouTube.

With reference to 'things that fly in the air'...  note definition of 'Gremlin' indicating AM's paradoxical intention! -at least the Gremlin with 'industry first guardrail beam doors' would be a comparatively safe car to crash... (excellent vintage AMC Gremlin car crash video on YouTube also)

I hope you have plenty more individual stories to tell about each race you entered.

Please feed me more American Motors psychological health food:  I'm hungry!

RAMBLE ON!
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic