TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vintage Air install in 70 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Air install in 70 AMX
    Posted: May/17/2013 at 6:06am
  Doing an an install in a non AC AMX.  I bought a Vintage Air Gen II kit, and these are some of the pics of the install.

First off the vents,  I couldn't find any stock vents at my price, so I used vents from an Acura RSX

As some of you know the wood grain is a piece of aluminum that is glued to the plastic, and they have the outlet already marked on the plastic, so all I had to do is find the center, and mark them, and start drilling the holes,   and oh yea measure 5 times, before drilling the holes  Smile

Experience comes from Good Judgement, but sometimes that comes from Bad judgement,
Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 6:11am

As the Acura vents have ears on them, this is where having the false panel on top really helps.  Pry the 2 pieces away from each other, and mark where the ears are on the plastic pane, and drill holes for #10 hardware, and countersink the hole between the plastic back panel, and the aluminum plate.

Experience comes from Good Judgement, but sometimes that comes from Bad judgement,
Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 6:15am
  Then picked up some #10 standoffs, or coupling nuts from ACE hardware, and either cutting them, or adding washers to space the vents so the front is even with the faceplate.  I also trimmed the taller vent to the same size as the shorter vent.

Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 6:19am
All that left to do is use some spray glue the front panel back to the plastic using small strips of wood to make sure I have pressure all over the front piece when I clamp them together.  This is what I have now

Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 6:25am
 This is what the new Vintage Air unit looks behind the dash/glovebox hole, and of course while I have stuff torn out, I installed some DynaMat at the same time.  I also installed a small piece of plastic where the heater box used to be attached under the dash for air.

Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 6:29am
and a couple of pics of the blank plates installed where the old heater core was, and where I installed the condensor, and drier.  Next week I will be having the new ac lines installed.

Mike
Intense Blue AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intense Blue AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 8:22am
Thanks for sharing!  I have a `70 as well, which  Compac II did you use ... I know they got 3 different sizes.  Did you run into any surprises during install? 
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2013 at 4:12pm
I installed a Super Gen II kit.  The one surprise was the manifold temp switch.  The switch I got with the griffin radiator had a screw on top, which broke, and I ended up buying a switch with a spade lug, a vintage air part from summit.  Making the block off plates took some time.  I used quite a few #10 coupler nuts (approx 1" long) in order to space some items out from the firewall like the hot water valve which I mounted in inside, used them for the ac vents.  I installed a terminal block behind the glove box for +12V, ign, and accessories, that way I could use the terminal block to get power to wherever I needed it, ie: ac unit, stereo, stereo amp, instead of cutting into the wiring harness.  The 4 outlets for air went to the 2 vents in the dash, another went to a vent under the passenger side, and the last I took a hose and just had it placed over the steering column.
 Mike
Mike
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2013 at 5:29pm
Is that a Griffen radiator?  If so, how did it fit on your car? Mine fit like crap.  I had to make 1/2" spacers to get it back down to clear the hood.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
BBO SPIRIT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO SPIRIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2013 at 1:19pm
Thanks for posting this. I will be doing this in my Spirit this
winter. About how much did everything cost?? Thanks again!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic