TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

VIN numbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickmg66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIN numbers
    Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 5:03pm
Hi all, i just acquired a 68 Javelin from victoria and I am trying to register it in WA. What number is recorded as VIN all i can find is the AMI number J8-015 and a chassis number stamped on chassis.
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 5:40pm
Aussie built AMC's don't have VIN's like the US cars do. My Jav is reqistered in SA without even the J09 number, just the engine number.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 7:47pm
J8-015 is the AMI sequential build number, that is what my 69 Javelin is registered with in WA, tell them to look up rego plate "Protego" if they need an example of one registered like this. There might also be an American Motors tag on the strut tower TK_____, you could use that if they don't like the AMI number. You won't find anything actually stamped into the body that you can use. 

Have a look at www.australianjavelins,com and send me some details of your car to add to the list if you are keen.

Welcome to the forum by the way and hope to see your car out on the road sometime.

nickmg66 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickmg66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 12:09pm
Thanks Mate,  i got the car from a guy in Victoria who has had it for 21 years, when i took it over the pits they wanted to use the Model number then proceeded to tell me that my car had been register in WA 2 years ago and was painted black (has been grey for 23 years).  Will get on to the website and register, was looking to join the Rambler car club of WA also. Is there any other clubs you would recommend. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 4:12pm
Rambler Club of WA is a good start, sign yourself up for the AM Javelin Register of Australia too http://www.amcjavelinregisteraustralia.com/ it's only $10 per year and helps keep track of where all of the cars are. There is also the AMC Rambler Club of Australia, you can find them on facebook too if you are into that stuff, the facebook page is quite active https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/amcrcofaust/
68 aussie javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 aussie javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 4:15pm
Welcome mate, glad to have another AMC guy here in Perth. See you around somewhere.

Cheers Mark
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 8:59pm
Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, J is for Javelin, 8 is for 1968 and 015 is the sequential build number, so quite an early one, not that there was that many. J9 for 1969, J09 for 1970, this is where it gets a little confusing and J29 for 1972.
nickmg66 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickmg66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 2:30pm
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Are the original build details available anywhere, I was curious as to the original paint/trim colour, engine/trans combination and any options my car may have had. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 5:09pm
Not on the aussie cars, in the US a lot of the detail is on the door tag, but on our cars the tag is mostly blank because they were finished off here.

Your car would have had a 343 4 barrel engine, Borg Waner M11 auto trans and limited slip 2.87:1 AMC20 rear end. It was the only drive train configuration offered in Australia. We got front 4 piston disk brakes as standard equipment as well.

A lot of the interior trim was local content so it differs slightly from the US cars, I believe we had the choice of either black or beige. Exterior paint colours were also specific to Australia and shared with other AMI assembled vehicles like Toyotas and Triumphs.
Oz_Bren View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz_Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 8:00pm
I've just got hold of a 70 Javelin with no AMI tag on the shock tower or anywhere else for that matter. Has anyone here ever registered one of these in NSW using just an engine number?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic