TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

very high idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote four4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2014 at 1:52pm
I dont think I was clear on plugs  all plugs are fouled on 1 side .As in fouled from 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock  and clean from 6 o'colck - 12 o'clock never saw anything like it . thanks
70amxpaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 6:44pm
vacuum leak... check top plenum gasket
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 2:50pm

I would check those internal bolts with the offset washees like you mentioned.

The original crossrams were not slotted for early and late styles like these are, so it might have created a new problem no one has seen before.

I don't know what the best kind of sealer to use here would be,

but I'd definitely want something that gas won't eat.

good luck.

four4fish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote four4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 6:22pm
OK its all back together . What I found is the carb on the passenger side was sucking like crazy through the top , took it all apart and found that as people have said here the flaps wernt closing all the way. I loosened the scrws holding flap ard adjusted play to make close ll the way .Now when its running that carb is constantly dripping fuel.I removed bowls and floats look like they are set ok. And i still cant time it when the mark is where it should be Idle is still wat to high.. Could accelerator pump or nozzle i changed do anything? thanks.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 6:46pm
Dripping venturi usualy means the little tiny pin holes, or one of them
that meter air into the emulsion tubes are blocked.

Be sure they are clean, but never alter the size of them in any way
unless you are 100000% sure of what you are doing.

The emulsion tubes can be corroded or blocked also.
Try the vents first.

Gremlin Dreams
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 6:47pm
I got a question
Why use used carbs on a $2,000 manifold
that can be destroyed with a single backfire?

Gremlin Dreams
four4fish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote four4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 7:02pm
Thanks I check those .I bought them straight from holley and the person I spoke to at holley said they were as good as new  .
Peter D View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 3:08pm
I think our Holley contact was putting you on, get your money back and get a couple new ones. Sometimes it doesn't pay to economize. 
four4fish View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote four4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 5:51pm
OK i think its all set . The timing was off .I removed and re-positioned the distributor . It seems like it is running fine . I timed it at 38* with an advance light to TDC with all vacuum lines plugged and removed from vac adv.Thank You all for the help. I would never have figured the flap in the carb being open so little would cause such a problem.  thanks again
  Now I try to figure out vac secondaries springs
Peter D View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 5:59pm
Curious, what is your advance at idle w/no vac advance.
peter d
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic