TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Venting oil cap breather to filter housing 327

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 5:40am
I had exactly the same problem. Drilled and tapped to plug it. I used M8 but 5/16 unc would work. The pipe for the old choke has obviously burnt through. I think you can replace it but if you are not using it there is no point.
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

I had exactly the same problem. Drilled and tapped to plug it. I used M8 but 5/16 unc would work. The pipe for the old choke has obviously burnt through. I think you can replace it but if you are not using it there is no point.

I'm glad to know it's not just me! I'm pretty sure I checked both holes before installing the manifold and they were both dead ends. 

Did you do it while on the car? Any concern for metal chips caused by the tapping?
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 8:34am
I used JB weld and filled it in.  Working fine still at this point.  That being said, if you had to drill it on the car, it's on the exhaust side of things, so chances of it spilling into the heads or something are highly unlikely.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by trewyn15 trewyn15 wrote:

I used JB weld and filled it in.  Working fine still at this point.  That being said, if you had to drill it on the car, it's on the exhaust side of things, so chances of it spilling into the heads or something are highly unlikely.

I wondered about JB Weld. Wasn't sure how it would hold up to a lot of heat, gets pretty hot in this location. I only ran it a couple of minutes so I could put my finger over the hole to determine how much exhaust was coming out, and it got too hot to touch.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by dogbone dogbone wrote:

I wondered about JB Weld. Wasn't sure how it would hold up to a lot of heat, gets pretty hot in this location. I only ran it a couple of minutes so I could put my finger over the hole to determine how much exhaust was coming out, and it got too hot to touch.

I would just let it sit for a couple of hours before you drive it.  

I've put probably 1,200-1,300 miles on my car since I put the JB weld in it and it worked just fine.  Plus, it takes almost no time :)
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 1:56pm

I've put probably 1,200-1,300 miles on my car since I put the JB weld in it and it worked just fine.  Plus, it takes almost no time :)

Did you just plug up the whole hole? The hole is a little larger than 1/4". I was thinking I might get a bolt and just glue it in the hole. That way maybe there is less direct exhaust on the JB Weld. I have used JB Weld for so many things. It's rated at 500 degrees. Can't imagine it gets that hot. Maybe in the 300s.

trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 2:09pm

Did you just plug up the whole hole? The hole is a little larger than 1/4". I was thinking I might get a bolt and just glue it in the hole. That way maybe there is less direct exhaust on the JB Weld. I have used JB Weld for so many things. It's rated at 500 degrees. Can't imagine it gets that hot. Maybe in the 300s.

I plugged the whole hole.  I have a laser temp gauge, I can measure the temp when I get my car back from the exhaust shop (exhaust leak off the heads).  I should be able to measure it on Thursday morning.
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 5:26am
JB weld will work. I would definitely remove the intake to drill/tap, and clean before refitting. Not worth the risk of swarf damaging something. They seem like blind holes but a tube for the automatic choke is actually inside there, it runs from one side to the other. They eventually burn out which is probably why the manifold is a spare. Maybe someone can chime in but I don't know how you would replace the tube inside. On later models the tube is connected to a plate which unbolts.
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

JB weld will work. I would definitely remove the intake to drill/tap, and clean before refitting. Not worth the risk of swarf damaging something. They seem like blind holes but a tube for the automatic choke is actually inside there, it runs from one side to the other. They eventually burn out which is probably why the manifold is a spare. Maybe someone can chime in but I don't know how you would replace the tube inside. On later models the tube is connected to a plate which unbolts.

I don't know that the tube inside burns out as much as the external tube that leads to carb is the one that gets burnt out or lost.
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 10:41am

I used JB Weld for an exhaust manifold/jug repair on a jetski years ago.  Hardened bolt snaps in a cast piece equaled a huge mess.  I filled the entire hole with JB Weld and drilled for a new bolt.  We heated the spot before we reassembled to see how it would withstand the heat...it did, even when it was glowing from the torch.  I think you're safe.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic