TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vega Steering Box?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vega Steering Box?
    Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 1:01am
Hey So i Have a 66 American, And i would like to get rid of the "impaler"steering System i.e. the solid shaft from box to Steering wheel. I know the stock box is a saginaw 525 Stock Which is the "big brother" to the the vega box... So now my thoughts are rambler light car, Vega light Car why not right? Wondering if any one has tried this & if so was it worth it? 
1966 Rampar American
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2016 at 9:17pm
Not sure about the Vega box but the stock power steering box is the same box used on several GM model vehicles from the 60's into the 70's. I don't know if it would weigh any less but a lot of people upgrade from a GM box to a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee box. This will get you tighter steering ratios. I bought a steering box off of a 2000 Cherokee and it is 14:1 and I believe a lot of the Grand Cherokee's are 12:1. There is an adapter plate that bolts to the p/s box and changes to the bolt pattern of the car. When my car gets home from the frame machine I hope to convert mine and will post more about it.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2016 at 11:12pm
About as light as i've ever seen a American listed is 2650 lbs,  and I think real world is closer to 2800-2900 lbs.
The Vega was a 2100-2200 lbs car, with 13 inch tires,  when it had the quick ratio 16-1 box, it was a little less than 4 turns lock to lock.

The Vega steering boxes are popular with rod builders,  but we are talking about really lightweight cars.  I think the max car weight recommended for the Vega box is around 2800, most recommend no more than 2500 lbs.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2016 at 9:30am
why not go to a 68-69 American Saginaw box?
i'd suggest a ross box but.....
btw, the later (70-up) boxes off gremlins and hornets would take some adapting whereas a 68-9 box would be a bolt-on (I think)

67 american 290/4speed
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2016 at 4:11pm
The Flaming River Vega box is considerably stronger than a factory Vega box. I have run factory Vega boxes on cars up to 2800# with no problems, BUT these were drag cars, NOT street cars. If I converted back to manual steering in my 65 Classic (2750#), I would go with a Flaming River box and I think it would do fine for my weekend warrior.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2016 at 7:15am
My 1978 Monza factory V8 car weighted 3120 empty and had the same steering box as a Vega. Most Vegas were shipping weights in the 2500-2800 lb range with a 4-cylinder. Actual on the street weight would be considerably more.
shelbycoleman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2016 at 8:07am
Standard weight for most Vega's is 2600#. With a V8 it gets pushed to 2800#. My 77 is tubed and caged and comes in just slightly over 2800#. The bx works well and has never been a concern at all. Keep in mind that a GT box is not the same as a standard box. It has a shorter stop to stop count than a standard vega.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2016 at 11:00am
I got those Vega weights from Wiki.

But when I just went out to my garage upstairs library,  where i've got auto magazines that go back to the 50's.
I found a Motor Trend road test ,  and Road and Track road test, MT says 2230, on the tested model, 71 GT,  and as tested , full fuel, driver and test equipment, 2520 lbs.
The Road and Track test says curb weight 2268 lbs.

I remember when I helped a guy build a 75 Vega for circle track Mini Stock in the early 90's , we had to add a bit of lead to the car to get it up to it's 2300lbs required weight.  Of course that was a stripped car, but with a pretty substantial roll cage, fuel cell, and the driver.  Without the fuel, lead, and driver it was somewhere in 1900 lbs region.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 9:53am
How about this box from Borgeson?

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1373&cat=147&page=1

This is what I am planning on putting in my 66 American. If in fact the shorten input shaft is a issue I think it can be compensated with a coupler.

I have a Christmas parade this Saturday and next week I plan on pulling the box, take pictures and compare my measurements with the real deal. I am speaking with Dan at Borgeson.

This "new" unit is cheaper than a rebuild on mine. Hope it's a direct bolt in. Anyone used this unit?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1968X View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 1:28pm
I used a similar Borgeson Saginaw 525 16:1 quick ratio steering box on a Buick GN drag car. It's still a hand full turning at rest even with skinny drag front tires. But I liked it.  Don't know if you need that short shaft or not on the one your looking at. That one is for street rods. If your changing out the intermediate steering shaft it wouldn't be a problem. A coupler is only going to slide a little bit forward or backward and won't make up much distance. Does your current steering box have a 4 bolt mounting flange or a 3 bolt flange? That one is a 3 bolt. The tech folks at Borgeson are great to work with.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1732&cat=147&page=1

Edited by 1968X - Dec/14/2016 at 2:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic