TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Valve Adjustments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valve Adjustments
    Posted: May/21/2018 at 10:37am
245Smoke View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 245Smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 10:40am
Sorry, pressed enter too soon,  I am posting to find out how to properly adjust the valves on my 290 engine?  I have loose valve tappets and am not sure if I just tighten the nut till tight and back off or do I have to use a feeler gauge and if so what is the proper feeler blade?

69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 11:36am
You tighten them while cold with the engine off to a certain ft lbs, (someone can chime it with the proper amount).

You do not back them off and re-tighten like a Chevy...
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 1:28pm
Yes, if it still has the stock valve train it is not adjustable. I don't have a TSM for a 290, but someone will chime in with proper torque specs I am sure. If you have the adjustable lock nuts and studs, then you can do it several ways, either hot or cold. Basically it comes down to finding 0 lash and then tightening it around 1/4-1 full turn, depending on who you listen to.

If you have an adjustable valve train, let us know and we can walk you through it.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic